Virtual Writing Center
- Writing Resources
- The Writer’s Toolkit: Antioch Writers on Writing
- The VWC Team
- Video Library
- Live Consultations
- Submitting Writing and What to Expect
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Writer’s Toolbox
Welcome to the Virtual Writing Center!
The VWC is a free service for Antioch University students, and we give feedback on your writing from start to finish!
- Outlining and Planning: Submit your outlines and notes for feedback on ideas!
- Major Revision: Submit your rough drafts, and even incomplete drafts, for big picture feedback!
- Minor Revision: Submit your 2nd or 3rd drafts to work on paragraph structure and sentence-level feedback!
- Style and Polish: Submit your near-final drafts for suggestions about APA or MLA, word choice, and grammar!
To take advantage of peer feedback from the VWC, just click the login link for your campus or program under “Submit Your Writing” on the right. Also check out “Submitting Writing and What to Expect” above to learn more about the feedback process.
Thanks so much to Megan Bixel and Sarah Wallace-Smith, who have both done exemplary work in the VWC these past few years and provided incredibly valuable support to Antioch students in most all our programs and campuses. Megan and Sarah are both graduating from Antioch Seattle with degrees in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
Sarah and Megan, we’ll miss you both, and we really value the time you dedicated to us in the VWC! We wish you the very best as you move on to newer things!
New & Noteworthy
APA Blues: VWC Consultant Alena Rogers writes about her encounters with academic writing and style in this month’s edition of the VWC newsletter.
“I was excited to explore writing further, but the formal tone of this genre – its bias for conciseness and against poetic language, combined with what seemed a byzantine set of rules (the APA 6th ed. manual is 272 pages!) – felt like a force that I couldn’t reckon with.” Read her full piece here!
Revised Long Submission Policy: We’ve changed the way we deal with longer pieces of work so that we can address them more holistically and give you more consistent feedback. We’ll no longer review long papers as 10-page chunks in separate files; instead, please ask the GA to focus on a particular 10 pages of work in any given submission, then apply that feedback to your entire document before resubmitting. Once you’ve revised, you are welcome to resubmit the whole document and ask for focus on a different area.
Announcing The Writers’ Exchange:
The Writers’ Exchange is the newest service available to AU students and alumni.
Are you working on a large project? Do you want professional editing and proofreading, or need your dissertation edited for formatting and style? Are you looking for individualized support and coaching, perhaps to develop work for publication? WEX editors and writing coaches are professionals with the expertise and experience to help you refine your writing.
Services from The Writers’ Exchange are available to anyone, but we offer discounted prices exclusive to Antioch University students and alumni.
Student Praise for the VWC
Since 2011, the Virtual Writing Center has provided support for student writing in a convenient online format. Here are a few comments that Antioch students shared about their experiences with the VWC:
- The tutor’s review and suggestions were excellent. My questions were answered satisfactorily and minor flaws in the paper were brought to my attention.
- The feedback was quick, clear, and well received. Thank you!
- The notes given to me were extremely helpful. I use the writing lab frequently. The lab always helps me not only improve my paper, but teaches me skills that I can continue to use for improving my writing.
- This is my first time using the VWC and I wasn’t sure how it worked. The instructions were very explicit and easy to follow. I was surprised at the quick and thorough response.
- Your help was invaluable and helped me make the paper clearer and more precise. Thanks.