Core Faculty –Founding Director – Doctor of Education in Educational and Professional Practice
Website Antioch University
Start Date: July 1st, 2018
Antioch University is looking for a founding director to lead the development of a unique EdD program that has a social action focus, seeks to enroll a diverse group of learners, including those outside the traditional school settings, and uses an innovative, hybrid cohort model.
This position provides visionary, entrepreneurial leadership for Antioch University’s first Doctor of Education program. The founding director will work collaboratively with faculty across the University to finalize the online, low-residency EdD in Educational and Professional Practice and will subsequently launch, lead, and manage the program. The founding director will build the academic team of faculty and staff, set the vision for the program, and develop academic policies and procedures to assure a compelling transformative learning environment for students, a creative teaching environment for faculty, and an agile working environment for staff.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Creation and leadership of a collaborative and engaged team that is committed to a shared vision for the program.
- Faculty and staff hiring, supervision, and evaluation
- Oversight of curriculum development, implementation and evaluation
- Management of overall program assessment and improvements
- Ensuring student satisfaction and success
- Management of program administration including enrollment planning, admissions decisions, budgeting, and open communication with faculty, students, and other university personnel
- Maintain required documents in compliance with regulatory agencies
The Director will:
- Serve as the departmental academic and administrative leader
- Recruit and retain highly qualified faculty with expertise and professional experience appropriate to the faculty assignments.
- Manage faculty workload norms, in order to support faculty in optimizing their productivity and responsiveness, achieving workload balance and coverage of curriculum, ensuring adherence to institutional and program policies.
- Oversee annual faculty performance reviews.
- Oversee a regular program review process to ensure continuing academic quality, and implement strategies to address issues or recommendations emerging from such reviews and from the accreditation process.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop plans to assess student learning outcomes for continuous program improvement.
- Create a collegial and transparent work environment.
- Assure effective and efficient departmental operations. Recruit, select, and retain staff; assign work, supervise, and evaluate staff.
- Develop and oversee the delivery of a high-quality, innovative academic program. Assure high quality learning experiences for students in the online courses, in-person and virtual residencies, and other curricular and extracurricular activities. Organize and lead residencies. Oversee and provide advising and mentoring services to students.
- Collaborate with the Provost and relevant staff in setting enrollment projections; collaborate with Admissions and Marketing departments to develop program collateral, generate leads, convert leads, and cultivate new students.
- Engage faculty in student recruitment, screening, and admission efforts; including faculty participation in the review of applications, interviewing potential students, participation in informational sessions, and holding special admissions events.
- Collaborate with the Provost in recommending annual program budget and manage program costs.
- Collaborate with the Provost in setting and assuming accountability for achieving strategic program goals.
- Maintain regular engagement with university peers and leadership to ensure alignment with University policies, procedures, and practices as well as regional, state, and federal compliance requirements.
- Maintain involvement with state and national associations and accreditors to ensure program relevancy and provide the context for needed program updates. Represent the program and university at regional and national conferences
Education Requirements and Qualifications:
PhD or EdD in field relevant to educational and/or professional practice
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a full-time faculty member in a doctoral program
- Record of successful doctoral teaching
- Record of successful teaching in a distance learning model; online teaching experience preferred
- Record of scholarship in educational and professional practice or related fields
- Substantial experience supervising doctoral research and dissertations
- Substantial professional experience in educational practice or professional practice
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, social justice, and inclusive excellence
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with diverse constituents
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to build and maintain relationships with faculty, administration, staff, and students
- A commitment to excellence in teaching, mentoring and advising students
- A passion for academics with sincere support and understanding of cultural diversity and the needs of the community.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time. Background check is required for this position.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Qualified applicants are required to submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to Randy Davis, Human Resources at the email address below.
Randy Davis, Human Resources
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org