Regional Human Resource Specialist- AULA or AUSB campus
The Regional Human Resources Specialist reports to the Chief Human Resource Officer and works collaboratively with the campus Provost in accomplishing the goals and objectives of the Human Resource office. This position will serve Antioch University’s locations in Santa Barbara and Culver City. The Santa Barbara campus employs approximately 34 full-time employees, 85 part-time employees, and the Culver City location employs approximately 70 full-time, 170 part-time employees.
Responsibilities include a full range of human resources activities. Primary responsibilities include faculty and staff recruiting, employee relations, employment management, assisting with investigations, ADA accommodations, performance improvement plans, managing employee attendance issues including FMLA, CRFA and PDL related absences. Duties also include maintaining and reporting employment information, benefit administration, compensation administration, position description development/review, archiving personnel information, and coordinating employee training/performance. The position requires a high level of confidentiality with excellent organizational skills and demonstrated strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Essential Job Functions-
Recruitment and Onboarding – 45%
- Developing comprehensive strategic faculty and staff recruiting and retention plans to maximize employee retention and productivity
- Overseeing faculty and staff recruitment and retention strategies to ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state laws and regulations, and University policies
- Assist as needed with resumes/applications and provide support related to recruitment and searches for open positions, including ensuring a diverse slate of candidates is presented for consideration
- Promote a diverse and inclusive community at the University through leading by example
- Assist and trains hiring managers in search committee processes and procedures
- Responsible for onboarding and new employee orientation regarding all university sponsored benefit and leave programs. Also completes separation out-processing steps, including exit interviews
Employee Relations- 35%
- Lead the employee relations function by investigating employee complaints, directing and managing employee disciplinary procedures, and resolving workplace disputes
- Interacts with employees at all levels
- Maintain a customer-focused and responsive work environment
- Provide supervisor training in the areas of recruitment, performance improvement, Family Medical Leave Americans with Disabilities Act and other pertinent employment related policies
- Provides employee training and manages the performance evaluation process
- Responsible for administering sick leave and disability requests to determine if ADA accommodations are needed
- Provide consultative expertise in the areas of people management, organizational development and counseling to employees on issues related to conflicts with managers/coworkers
- Manage employee attendance and issues including FMLA, CRFA and PDL related absences
- Maintain files for the various types of investigations and assists with the processing of unemployment claims as assigned
Employment and Compensation Support- 10%
- Work closely with Administrators to produce accurate job descriptions
- Provide salary survey analysis and marketing pricing for new jobs and reclassifications
- In collaboration with the CHRO makes salary recommendations for new hires and reclassifications
- Responsible for initiating and maintaining new hires in the HRIS system and coordinates payroll entry with the HR-Payroll Coordinator
- Run reports; create correspondence; prepare professional presentations using MS PowerPoint and/or other tools
- Coordinate, schedule, and facilitate special projects, as assigned
- Maintain and management ongoing maintenance of employee records, ensuring compliance with the appropriate federal, state, and University record keeping requirements
Regulatory and Policy Compliance- 10%
- Provide consultation to University administrators regarding Human Resources issues
- Assure the campuses remain in compliance with applicable federal and state laws, requirements of federal and state governing agencies, and University’s personnel policies and regulations
- Provides support to departments in administering policies and programs in areas of employment, labor relations, wage and salary administration, training and other areas of HR
- Ensure integrity of data in HRIS/Payroll system
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible in Human Resources, which may include a combination of education and experience, and of which at least three (3) years included supervisory experience in Human Resources is required. Strong preference given for candidates with background in a university setting
- HR credentialing specific to California is a plus – such as PHRca, or SHRM’s California Employment Law Micro-Credential; or senior-level certification such as SHRM-SPC desired
- Proficiency in various HRIS and payroll systems required; and experience with Ellucian Colleague system used in a university setting is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Sound knowledge of Human Resources best practices and employment related legislation, including California legislation
- Knowledgeable about, and committed to, principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Knowledgeable about job evaluation/analysis, position descriptions, compensation and recruitment methodology and practices
- Knowledgeable about laws and regulations pertaining to pay, wage garnishments, benefits and deductions
- Possess extensive knowledge of computers and systems. Knowledge of Colleague, Banner, or other higher educational software programs is strongly preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and work well in an environment with competing demands
- Strong interpersonal skills (listening skills, problem solving, working collaboratively, open to feedback, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing; ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Ability to remain calm under stressful circumstances and/or aggressive deadlines
- Ability to work independently and on a team with minimal supervision; exercise a high level of tact and judgement in addressing members of the campus community
- Ability to interpret and communicate HR policies and procedures
- Ability and desire to be “hands-on”
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality concerning human resources and payroll information.
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. Demands of the job will require travel between campuses located in California and may occasionally require evening or weekend hours.
Office will be at Antioch University in either Santa Barbara or Culver City, CA, with one of the two locations considered primary.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Applicants are required to submit a coverletter, resume and three employment references at the time of application. Application material should be sent to email@example.com, attn: AU HR SPECIALIST position in subject line.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org