University Director of Institutional Effectiveness
Website Antioch University
(Review of applicants will begin Jan. 22, 2018)
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs and University Provost, the University Director of Institutional Effectiveness is responsible for all university-level institutional research functions, including but not limited to the development of a comprehensive institutional research program to support the University’s mission, academic strategic plan and budgeting process, and institutional decision-making. The Director is a member of the University Office of Academic Affairs team and works close with the University Director of Academic Assessment and Support Services and the University Director of Accreditation and Academic Compliance to assure a comprehensive approach to institutional effectiveness. The Director also works collaboratively with the University Leadership Team (ULC), academic deans, Assessment Resource Team (ART), faculty, and staff to maximize institutional effectiveness.
The Director provides information and analysis to support strategic planning, accreditation compliance, academic planning, retention initiatives, program reviews, student learning, enrollment projections and other processes requiring strategic analysis. This includes conducting periodic environmental scans to stay apprised of external and internal threats and opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The OIE Director will carry out duties and responsibilities with a great degree of independence, accountability, and confidentiality.
- Lead office and manage operations of the OIE.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate personnel.
- Establish standards for data management, including data definitions, data coding standards, and enterprise database designs.
- Develop, implement and oversee the university’s Institutional Effectiveness Plan.
- Develop and implement strategies to transform data into information in support of decision-making and institutional priorities.
- Assist with budgeting, planning and resource allocation university-wide.
- Institutional Research and Reporting:
- Plans and implements research studies, including selecting and analyzing data, preparing statistical and narrative reports, designing appropriate research methods, and recommending the further collection of required data elements by administrative and academic staff;
- Develop tracking and reporting system for monitoring progress toward goals and objectives in institutional and program plans.
- Develop databases and reports for internal and external (federal- and state- mandated accountability reporting and grant reporting) audiences in areas including but not limited to:
- Enrollment, Revenue and Cost Analysis
- Student Persistence and Completion
- Academic Assessment
- Grant Development
- University Advancement
- Collect data as needed to improve report analysis, using external research sources and deploying surveys and focus groups in order to enhance information that supports data-driven decision making.
- Analyze data using univariate and multivariate techniques and interprets and reports findings using appropriate tabular, graphical and narrative methods.
- Generate reports for internal and external audiences and agencies, such as enrollment, budget, registration, CLERY Act, IPEDS, etc.
- Academic Assessment, Accreditation, and Compliance
In collaboration with the University Director of Assessment and Academic Services:
- Support the University’s academic assessment system and other activities associated with the assessment of student learning and student success.
- In collaboration with the Assessment Resource Team, implement a centralized, university-wide course evaluation system.
- Collaborate and provide consultation for faculty, staff and administrators to design, implement and document appropriate and effective assessment plans and activities.
- Assist faculty with the design of direct and indirect assessment tools and the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Prepare and distribute analytical reports.
In collaboration with the University Director of Accreditation and Academic Compliance:
- Develop and implement processes for collecting and reporting data required for regional accreditation and state authorization.
- Provide consultation and support to faculty for data collection and analysis related to specialized or professional accreditation needs.
- Develop and update content and presentation of OIE data on Antioch University website for both internal and external consumption.
- Recommend and support various query tools for accessing data.
- Work closely with other offices (e.g. Finance, Registrar, Admissions, Human Resources, Financial Aid, Information Technology) to improve data collection, storage, and reporting.
- Support data analysis and trend monitoring: work collaboratively with university constituents to address the data needs of the University ensuring that surveys and questionnaires are coordinated appropriately; assists in the coordination, collection, analysis, and reporting of data; assist with data interpretation.
- Coordinate environmental scanning, market analysis, and competitive analysis projects
- Conduct research projects relating to fulfilling the mission, goals and objectives of the university; carry out studies necessary to assess institutional progress.
Other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and University Provost
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a social or behavioral science discipline, information science, computer science, or mathematics, or a closely related field that includes statistics or research methodology, required.
- Bachelor’s degree in above mentioned discipline and extensive experience at in an office of institutional effectiveness/research in an institution of higher education may be considered equivalent.
- Minimum three years of experience in academic and institutional assessment, institutional planning, or continuous quality improvement experience in a higher education setting is required.
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience performing data-driven analysis, including experience in data analysis, research, database design, system analysis.
- Demonstrated broad set of technical skills and expertise with data management software including business intelligence tools, dashboards and other comparable software to analyze, organize and present data. Proven success in developing data and research, both quantitative and qualitative, to support institutional decision making.
- Ability to analyze data, interpret information in order to convey consequences and recommend courses of action, explain analytic methodology, and report accurate results and study implications.
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and cooperatively with a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. Ability to interact with a wide range of users and technicians.
- Ability to work effectively via phone, email, videoconferencing and in person with faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Basic knowledge of advanced statistical techniques related to sampling and projection.
- Experience with standard external reports in higher education such as IPEDS, the Common Dataset, CSRDE and so on.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and proficiently.
- Ability to remain calm under stressful circumstances and/or aggressive deadlines; ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrated strength in written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Two years of experience managing an Institutional Research or Institutional Effectiveness team.
- Experience at an institution that serves non-traditional students.
- Demonstrated experience in a higher education regional accreditation process.
- Knowledge of the Ellucian Colleague system.
- Knowledge of query techniques associated with relational databases, SQL in particular.
- Knowledge of the SAP Business Objects environment for reporting.
- Strong knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of SPSS and/or SAS.
- Experience with Sharepoint.
Hours of Employment:
This is a full-time position serving a national university which may require extra hours over a 40 hour work week. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the Vice Chancellor and University Provost.
Office to be housed on one of the Antioch University campuses (California, Ohio, New Hampshire or Washington). Specific location will be established in consultation with the Vice Chancellor and University Provost.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb stairs, and reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Periods of stress due to level, variety, nature, and volume of work. High volume of computer work required. Some travel is required.
Environmental and Job Hazards:
No unusual environmental or job hazards.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties and responsibilities of the job description at any time. Background check is required for this position.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Qualified applicants are required to submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to the address below. Review of applications will begin on January 16, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Randy Davis, Human Resources
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org