An interdisciplinary approach to the study of children
There are many influences that shape children’s perspectives, behavior, and lives. By choosing a minor concentration in Child Studies, you’ll understand the complex relations between community, peers, social agencies, families and schools that influence a child’s development. The Child Studies Concentration curriculum blends clinical and developmental psychology with physiology, neurology, sociology, philosophy, economics, social policy, and the law.
Child Studies is offered as a minor area of concentration of the BA in Liberal Studies degree at AU Los Angeles.
Antioch’s Child Studies Minor Concentration provides an interdisciplinary approach to the study of children with an emphasis on psychology. The curriculum blends clinical and developmental psychology with perspectives from physiology, neurology, sociology, philosophy, and the law. Our classes prepare students for graduate study and careers in the fields of education, family therapy, human services, children’s literature, and child advocacy. Depending on future career goals or areas of interest, students can apply to Fast Track into our Masters in Education or Masters in Psychology programs, potentially saving significant time and tuition expenses.
In addition to the general degree requirements outlined on the BA in Liberal Studies page, students must successfully complete a minimum of 20 units for the Child Studies Minor Concentration. These units can be transferred or earned at Antioch. If the student has not fulfilled these unit requirements, the Area of Concentration will be designated as Liberal Studies.
- Infant to Child Development
- Cognitive Psychology: Children’s Thinking
- Child to Adolescent Development
- Cross-Cultural Child Development
- Research Design and Methodology
- Contemporary Neuro-Psychology
- Human Rights and Children
For detailed curriculum and degree requirements, please visit the AULA catalog.
- BA in Liberal Studies, Addiction Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Business and Management Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Business and Social Entrepreneurship
- BA in Liberal Studies, Creative Writing
- BA in Liberal Studies, Liberal Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Psychology
- BA in Liberal Studies, Queer Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Urban Studies
There are no upcoming events at this time.