Explore identity, advance equality
Challenge how you understand identity and become part of a community of advocates challenging broader categories of identity and helping advance greater equality and understanding.
Queer Studies is offered as a minor area of concentration of the BA in Liberal Studies degree at AU Los Angeles.
As a pioneer of LGBTQ-affirmative theory and practice, Antioch University Los Angeles offers an undergraduate Minor Area of Concentration in Queer Studies. Students engage in lively interdisciplinary courses examining a broad range of issues related to the complexities of gender, sex, sexuality, identity, and representation. Students completing a minor area of concentration in Queer Studies enhance their understanding of issues making up a variety of social justice, political, ethical, psychological, and professional concerns. In addition to innovative courses, Queer Studies students have opportunities to engage in Internships that provide practical lived experience in queer and LGBT affiliated organizations, and Independent Study Projects to accomplish individualized goals with the mentorship of a faculty member.
In addition to the general degree requirements outlined on the BA in Liberal Studies page, students must successfully complete a minimum of 20 units for the Queer Studies Minor Concentration. These units can be transferred or earned at Antioch. If the student has not fulfilled these unit requirements, the Area of Concentration will be designated as Liberal Studies.
The Queer Studies concentration combines a range of interdisciplinary courses and independent studies with opportunities for internships at pioneering community-based organizations.
- Queer Literature
- LGBT Identity Issues
- Sex-Positivity & Social Justice
- Politics of Psychology
- Foucault: Discourse & Discipline
- Lesbian & Gay History in Documentary Film
- Sexualities Around the World
- Transgender Identities
- Queer Theory
- Shakespeare Deconstructed: Gender & Power Play
- Feminist Theories
- Sexual Politics, Protest and Performance
For detailed curriculum and degree requirements, please visit the AULA catalog.
- BA in Liberal Studies, Addiction Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Business and Management Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Business and Social Entrepreneurship
- BA in Liberal Studies, Child Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Creative Writing
- BA in Liberal Studies, Liberal Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies, Psychology
- BA in Liberal Studies, Urban Studies
There are no upcoming events at this time.