AU Academic Technology Support Specialist
Website Antioch University
This may be a remote or campus-based position, though proximity to one of our campuses in Seattle, WA, Los Angeles, CA, Yellow Springs, OH, or Keene, NH is preferred.
(Review of applications will begin February 23, 2018)
POSITION SUMMARY: This position provides customer service and training related to Antioch University academic technologies, including Sakai (LMS), web conferencing tools, and Google apps. The position is part of an Academic Technology team with Instructional Designers and an Online Learning Developer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respond to faculty, staff and administrator inquiries regarding the basic academic use of technologies, including audio/video conferencing, Google tools suite, and learning management system features and functionality.
- Route inquiries regarding course development and technology systems to AT members or other departments as appropriate.
- Provide individual and group training on the basic use of Antioch’s academic technologies, such as audio/video conferencing, Google tools suite, and learning management system features and functionality.
- Assist faculty or staff in using instructional technologies according to their abilities and needs.
- Provide quality assurance checks on course sites – identify missing materials, proof-read, and correct errors.
- Maintain and assist with the development of online web-based resources such as an Academic Technology website, multimedia tutorials, reference material, content resources, templates, and informational announcements to support use of learning technologies.
- Assist with testing and implementation of emerging teaching and learning technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or instructional design; or a degree in a related field such as education or communication, accompanied by academic technology experience; or a combination of a related associate’s degree and at least 2 years of directly related experience required.
- Experience with customer service, training, technical documentation, and/or higher education preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency with common software, including web browsers and standard office productivity tools required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues via phone, email, videoconferencing and in person to find solutions to challenges faced by faculty or staff when using academic technology.
Attributes and Abilities
- Customer-service focused.
- Exercise professional judgment regarding highly confidential department, budget, and student matters.
- Work effectively collaboratively and independently.
- Be organized, follow through on tasks, and problem solve.
- Ability to interact with a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to diversity, equity and cultural competence.
- Possess an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the human factors and accessibility requirements involved in introducing educational technology.
- Adapt to changing organizational and individual circumstances.
- Differentiate level of assistance according to faculty and their students’ ability.
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
This may be a remote or campus-based position, though proximity to one of our campuses in Seattle, WA, Los Angeles, CA, Yellow Springs, OH, or Keene, NH is preferred. Specific location will be established with the supervisor prior to appointment.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb stairs, and reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. High volume of computer work required. Some travel is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Environmental and Job Hazards:
No unusual environmental or job hazards.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties and responsibilities of the job description at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Qualified applicants should send a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to address below. Review of applications will begin February 23, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Randy Davis, HR Generalist
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org