The Storyteller/Writer will produce master content for Antioch University. This position demands an experienced, prolific, and flexible writer who can switch tone, length, and style of writing to suit various content needs. Excellent editing and proofreading skills are a must. The Storyteller/Writer should have an understanding of multichannel communication platforms, work independently, meet deadlines, and stay customer focused.
Responsibilities include interacting with the marketing team, admissions team, senior leadership, faculty, staff, students, and alumni in order to promote the work and achievements of Antioch University. The Storyteller/Writer work should instill pride and drive action and interaction.
Essential Job Functions
- Writing and Editing – 90%
- Interview alumni, students, and faculty for promotional web stories
- Draft and edit op-eds, letters to the editor, and other press materials, including ghostwriting for executive leadership
- Work with marketing team, faculty, and admissions to write and edit content for high quality materials such as booklets, brochures, one-sheets, fact sheets, and event flyers
- Craft engaging articles by interviewing subject matter experts as well as through secondary research
- Work with digital media team to provide copy for digital content, including website, social media, videos, and more.
- Interview alumni and write feature stories as directed for the Antioch Alumni Magazine
- Draft admission marketing e-mails with strong calls to action
- Writes internal communications as directed by the senior leadership team
- Draft and edit other written materials as assigned by the Marketing Director.
- Miscellaneous – 10%
- Recommend procedure modifications or improvements
- Improve documentation of processes and systems
- Pursue self-education and development to enhance skills and abilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in creative writing, English, journalism, communications or closely related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience in journalism, professional writing, or content generation, preferably in an academic or agency environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Write content for a variety of audiences and platforms, switching tone, length, and style of writing to suit various content needs
- Able to work professionally and build trust at all levels of the organization
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills are a must.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Able to meet deadlines and work on and prioritize multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Knowledge and proficiency using Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Google Apps – Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Hangouts); able to learn new software
- Flexible and willing to adapt to a dynamic environment
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. The typical work week is Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week with occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
Office location TBD; position may be located at a campus or remote.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualified candidates are to submit a coverletter, resume/CV and three business references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “STORYTELLER/WRITER” in the subject line.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com