Our accredited clinical mental health counseling program educates you in helping others with their personal struggles while also giving you a solid personal foundation from which to work.
The curriculum represents the highest standards of professional ethics, theoretical integration, clinical skills, and multicultural and social justice counseling competencies. It’s student-centered learning and competency-based instruction at its best.
We also offer the option to specialize in one of two cutting edge fields: Art Therapy and Drama Therapy.
- Accredited by the Council of Accreditation for Counseling Related Education Programs (CACREP)
- Exceeds the educational requirements for state licensure in Mental Health Counseling (LMHC)
- Emphasizes skills in building relationships including the development and deepening of self-awareness, empathy, ethical awareness, social responsibility, and respect for human diversity
- Facilitates graduate-level mastery of counseling skills including an ability to apply one’s knowledge and relationship- building skills to the counseling situation, to think critically about human behavior and the counseling relationship, and to integrate theory with practice in ways which facilitate ethical and effective practice as a counselor
- Offers knowledge of professional development issues, professional organizations and state requirements for practice as a clinical mental health counselor.
Graduates of the Master of Arts in Counseling degree program explore many professional options upon graduation. They seek positions in community agencies, hospitals, mental health clinics and private practices as well as teaching at community colleges, or engaged in consulting and research.