Make a Difference in the Lives of Individuals, Couples and Families
The Couple and Family Therapy (CFT) Program prepares knowledgeable, skilled, self-aware, ethical, and culturally responsive clinicians for the practice of individual, couple, and family therapy.
By focusing on a family systems perspectives and pairing the traditional classroom setting with comprehensive clinical training and onsite internships, you will be better prepared for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist in Washington State.
The CFT Program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) since 2005, which is the highest level of accreditation in marriage and family therapy. Consequently, upon graduation, your internship hours can be used toward your post-graduation licensure requirements, which ultimately makes licensure attainment easier and faster.
As a student in the CFT Program, you can also receive additional training by specializing in Art Therapy, Drama Therapy, Multicultural Therapy, and Play Therapy.
Master’s Degree Program Features
- Adult learning that is student-centered and competency-based
- Learning environments characterized by collaboration, self-direction, and self-reflective practice
- Experiential learning rather than focusing on lectures and testing
- An internship in a professional setting validating and clarifying the theory you acquire in the classroom
- A commitment to the advancement of social justice by preparing therapists to think critically about power, privilege, and multicultural issues in order to best serve clients and communities
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) since 2005
According to a 2014 AAMFT report on the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are currently over 11,000 jobs for marriage and family therapists (MFTs) with employment projected to grow 29% between 2012 and 2022. MFTs can thrive in a range of work environments, including mental health centers, hospitals, substance abuse treatment centers, schools, private practice, and many other settings.
Watch this video to hear what students have to say about the program.
The world needs you now. Get started today!
Program Success by the Numbers
The CFT Program is dedicated to meeting the needs of the students which is reflected in the following figures:
- 100% of graduating students indicated they were glad they chose to receive their training in the CFT Program (2016 Graduation Survey Report, n=43)
- 100% of alumni indicated they passed the national exam for licensure (Alumni Survey Report 2016, n=45)
- 98% of alumni indicated they are currently working in the field of therapy, and it took them an average of 2 months to find a job (Alumni Survey Report 2015, n=49)