The Grades are in! AUM Education Grads Say They’re Ready for the Classroom After They Leave Ours
School of Education receives high marks from AUM alums for teacher preparedness
YELLOW SPRINGS, Ohio—The Antioch University Midwest School of Education received high marks from its graduates for preparing them to teach in Ohio classrooms according to the Ohio Board of Regents 2012 Ohio Educator Performance Report.
“The qualities for getting as much as possible from the Antioch experience—engaging with excellent, experienced instructors, being self-directed in one’s learning, and working collaboratively with other students–are what prepared me the most for my teaching career, said Kat Walter, an Intervention Specialist at East Clinton High School in Wayne, OH. “Getting the content is the easy part; that can occur at any university. It’s Antioch Midwest’s student-centered approach that prepares teachers for teaching individuals.”
The report was created in response to the Ohio General Assembly’s direction to the Chancellor of the Board of Regents to create a system to evaluate Ohio’s educator preparation programs. First administered in 2008, the report is the means to measure education programs throughout the state and hold institutions of higher education accountable for their graduates’ success
The annual report compiles data connecting current teachers and principals with the institutions where they were prepared. Using a 1 – 4 scale (1 = strongly disagree and 4 = strongly agree) the School of Education received an average response of 3.39 in each of 49 categories. Additionally, AUM graduates have a 96 percent passing rate on state licensure tests.
“We believe that every student in Ohio deserves a caring, competent, and highly qualified teacher in their classroom,” said Dr. Marian Glancy, Director, School of Education. “These results are confirmation that we are delivering on that commitment.”
The School of Education performed particularly well in the following categories:
- My teacher preparation program prepared me to use strategies for effective classroom management.
- My teacher preparation program prepared me to identify strategies to increase student motivation.
- My teacher preparation program prepared me to understand students from diverse cultures, language skills, and experiences.
- My teacher preparation program prepared me to recognize characteristics of gifted students, students with disabilities, and atrisk students in order to plan and deliver appropriate instruction.
- My teacher preparation program provided field experiences in a variety of settings (urban, suburban, and rural).
- My teacher preparation program provided opportunities to work and study with diverse peers.
- My teacher preparation program provided knowledge of the Ohio Licensure Program standards for my discipline.
- Provided knowledge of the operation of Ohio schools as delineated in the Ohio Department of Education School Operating Standards.
- My teacher preparation program provided me with knowledge of the requirements for the Resident Educator License.
- My teacher preparation program provided me with knowledge of the Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession.
- My teacher licensure program provided me with knowledge of the Ohio Standards for Professional Development.
- My teacher preparation program provided me with knowledge of the Ohio Academic Content Standards, including the Common Core State Standards.
The School of Education works to prepare competent teachers and administrators who will apply the knowledge and experiences they receive at AUM to act as change agents and serve all children in an ever changing social and educational environment.
Discover learning. Discover a network. Discover success.
About Antioch University Midwest: Antioch University Midwest is one of the five campuses of Antioch University, an institution proud of serving adult learners and their specific needs. Antioch University is a multi-campus university of more than 4,000 students who study at the Antioch Midwest campus in Yellow Springs, OH, and at campuses in Seattle, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, and Keene, New Hampshire, online and around the world!
# # #