Dyslexia is the most common learning disability, affecting one in five American children. Utilize cutting edge research in the field of dyslexia education and harness this new knowledge to empower all students in the classroom. Learn the structure of language and foundational concepts of oral and written learning to help children with dyslexia grasp a better understanding of information across a multitude of disciplines. Stand out and make a strong academic impact on the lives of those with dyslexia.
This certificate is offered by AU Midwest.
A Dyslexia Certificate from Antioch University Midwest will help you stand out and make an impact. Our program is built upon the latest research and has met the International Dyslexia Association’s Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
The 17-credit program is offered as a stand-alone certificate. As one of the 25 dyslexia programs in the U.S. accredited by the International Dyslexia Association, the certificate is tailored for current teachers, students working toward a teaching degree, as well as parents and advocates for children with dyslexia.
This program is offered online and is designed for:
- Teachers and administrators seeking to understand and effectively teach students with dyslexia
- Special Education professionals seeking to meet the needs of their students with dyslexia
- Family members of children and adults with dyslexia
- Advocates for children and adults with dyslexia
The program is offered throughout the year, with entry twice a year. Coursework is offered online to meet the needs of K-12 classroom educators. Educators receive the highest quality of instruction from faculty with a rich background of work in K-12 reading environments, many of whom are currently practitioners in the field.
Length of Program:
This 17-credit program can be completed in 4 semesters.
- Foundations and Psychology of Reading
- Introduction to Dyslexia
- Advanced Phonics
- Diagnosis and Assessment of Students and Dyslexia
- Structured Language Teaching I
- Structured Language Teaching II
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUM catalog.
Upon completion of this certificate and depending on state requirements, students can perform work as a:
- Reading Specialist
- Educational Therapist
- Classroom Teacher
- Understand Foundational Concepts about Oral and Written Learning
- Develop Knowledge of the Structure of Language
- Develop Knowledge of Dyslexia and Other Learning Disorders
- Interpret and Administer Assessments for Planning Instruction
- Master Structured Language Teaching Strategies
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application Form.
- Write and submit an Admissions Essay in a 1 – 2-page Word document answering each of the following questions in meaningful detail:
- Why did you choose Antioch?
- Why did you choose the program you are applying to?
- What are your future plans and how do you connect this program to you plans?
- Request transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Antioch University, in an unopened sealed envelope. We also accept e-transcripts at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please Note: You may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review of your application, but your application will not be considered complete until official transcripts are received.
Please submit all materials to:
Antioch University Midwest
900 Dayton Street
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
|Semester||Application Deadlines||Classes Begin|
|Fall 2018 Session A||August 1, 2018||August 27, 2018|
|Fall 2018 Session B||October 12, 2018||October 15, 2018|
|Spring 2019 Session A||December 14, 2018||January 7, 2019|
|Spring 2019 Session B||February 22, 2019||March 4, 2019|
|Summer 2019 Session A||April 29, 2019||May 6, 2019|
|Summer 2019 Session B||June 17, 2019||June 24, 2019|
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Be interviewed by the Program Chair.
|Total Tuition Cost|
|Certificate in Dyslexia Studies||$468||17||$7,956|
|Certificate in Reggio Emilia Approach||$468||18||$8,424|
|Certificate in Trauma Informed Education||$468||12||$5,616|
Please note: Additional fees for all AUM programs may include (but are not necessarily limited to) charges for materials, late registration, enrollment maintenance, graduation, transcripts, tuition payment plan, late payments, late registration, and returned checks.
A majority of AUM students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUM.
There are no upcoming events at this time.