We are no longer offering this on-campus program at AU Midwest. We invite experienced educators to explore our online MEd for Experienced Educators options offered by our New England campus. View a complete list of all Education certificates, undergraduate and graduate degrees offered by Antioch University.
The success of a child’s development can largely be attributed to the success or failure of their early educators. Teachers are responsible for understanding the importance of a healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging environment. Understanding the needs of each individual child is vital, as is championing a collaborative partnership between families, communities, and schools. Immerse yourself in early childhood education and have a lasting impact on the life of a child.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
The Early Childhood license qualifies you to work with students in grades PK-3. The program provides the opportunity to:
- Learn with faculty who have real-world teaching experience
- Study in a team approach with adult learners
- Attend School of Education classes on weekday evenings
- Be eligible to earn an Ohio Ohio Resident Educator teaching license to work with students pre-kindergarten through grade 3
To qualify for the early childhood education Ohio Resident Educator License, candidates must have met the general education requirements and have earned 49 semester-credits in the professional program as follows (includes the Ohio professional license reading courses):
- Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- Foundations of Education
- Whole Child Development and Learning
- Planning and Assessment for Student Learning
- Learning Environments
- Integrated Methods
- Clinical I – Internship
- Clinical II – Student Teaching
- Foundations for Reading Instruction
- Reading Assessment
- Content Literacy
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUM catalog.
Areas of employment using your Early Childhood Education major include:
- Preschool Teacher
- Head Start Teacher
- Pre-kindergarten – Third Grade Teacher in Public or Private Schools
With the addition of a Reading Endorsement, graduates of the Early Childhood Education program will be eligible to be a Title l teacher in Grades K-12.