We are no longer offering this on-campus program at AU Midwest. We invite experienced educators to explore our online MEd for Experienced Educators options offered by our New England campus. View a complete list of all Education certificates, undergraduate and graduate degrees offered by Antioch University.
As children enter adolescence, their cognitive, behavioral, and psychological attributes begin to mature. Our Master of Education with Initial or 2nd Teacher Licensure (MEd) in Middle Childhood Education will ensure that you are prepared to assist children through this confusing and challenging transition. Our faculty members are passionate, experienced, hands-on educators who will impart on you the skills to support your students academically and emotionally.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
The Middle Childhood license qualifies you to work with students in grades 4 – 9 in two content areas. The program provides the opportunity to:
- Learn with faculty who have real-world teaching experience
- Study in a team approach with adult learners
- Attend School of Education classes on weekday evenings
- Be eligible to earn an Ohio Ohio Resident Educator teaching license to work with students grades 4 – 9
To qualify for the middle childhood education Ohio Resident Educator License, candidates must have met the content requirements and have earned 49 semester-credits in the professional program as follows (includes the Ohio professional license reading courses):
- Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- Foundations of Education
- Whole Child Development and Learning
- Planning and Assessment for Student Learning
- Learning Environments
- Two of the Four Methods Courses: LA, Math, Soc. Studies, Science
- Clinical I – Internship
- Clinical II – Student Teaching
- Foundations for Reading Instruction
- Reading Assessment
- Content Literacy
Candidates who successfully complete the M.Ed in Educational Leadership with initial or 2nd licensure in Middle Childhood will be qualified to teach in any grades 4 -9 in two content areas.
Content Area Self-Evaluation
Applicants in MCE must qualify for two content areas.