Dyslexia is the most common learning disability, affecting one in five American children. Utilize cutting edge research in the field of dyslexia education and harness this new knowledge to empower all students in the classroom. Learn the structure of language and foundational concepts of oral and written learning to help children with dyslexia grasp a better understanding of information across a multitude of disciplines. Stand out and make a strong academic impact on the lives of those with dyslexia.
The M.Ed. in Educational Leadership with a concentration in dyslexia studies from Antioch University Midwest will help you stand out and make an impact. Our program has met the International Dyslexia Association’s Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
As one of the 25 dyslexia programs in the U.S. accredited by the International Dyslexia Association, the concentration is tailored for current teachers, students working toward a teaching degree, as well as parents and advocates for children with dyslexia.
This program is a hybrid model with some courses offered online and some on-campus and is designed for:
- Teachers and administrators seeking to understand and effectively teach students with dyslexia
- Special Education professionals seeking to meet the needs of their students with dyslexia
- Family members of children and adults with dyslexia
- Advocates for children and adults with dyslexia
Required Concentration Courses (30 credits):
- Organizational Structures
- Research for School Improvement
- Ethical Issues in Educational Administration
- Conflict Resolution and Consensus Building
- Foundations and Psychology of Reading
- Introduction to Dyslexia
- Advanced Phonics
- Diagnosis and Assessment of Students and Dyslexia
- Current Topics in Dyslexia
- Structured Language Teaching I
- Structured Language Teaching II
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUM catalog.
Upon completion of this program and depending on state requirements, students can perform work as a:
- Reading Specialist
- Educational therapist
- Classroom teacher
- MEd in Education, Intervention Specialist, Mild to Moderate or Moderate to Intensive
- MEd in Educational Leadership with Professional Concentration, Coaching and Mentoring
- MEd in Educational Leadership with Professional Concentration, Ohio Principal Licensure
- MEd in Educational Leadership with Professional Concentration, Reading License Endorsement (RLE) Grades PK-12
- MEd in Educational Leadership with Professional Concentration, Reggio Emilia Approach (REA)
- MEd in Educational Leadership with Professional Concentration, Trauma Informed Education