We are no longer offering this on-campus program at AU Midwest. We invite experienced educators to explore our online MEd for Experienced Educators options offered by our New England campus. View a complete list of all Education certificates, undergraduate and graduate degrees offered by Antioch University.
Interact with children in intentional, constructive and creative ways that focus on children’s capabilities, competencies, and interests. Foster a learning environment that is based on relationships, reciprocal learning, and reflection to build a more stimulating and inclusive classroom. The REA is grounded in the belief that children are active protagonists of their own growth and development process, and learning is a process of individual and group construction. In order to accomplish this, the classroom environment must be organized to provoke and support learning.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
Candidates who currently hold a pre-kindergarten to grade three license may be interested in completing a M.Ed. with a professional concentration in the Reggio Emilia Approach.
Required Courses (33 credits):
- Introduction to Reggio Emilia Approach – A*
- Introduction to Reggio Emilia Approach – B*
- The Learning Environment as the Third Teacher
- Making Learning Visible through Observation and Documentation
- The Atelier and Learning – Arts Integration
- Comparative Approaches to Early Childhood Education
- Reggio Emilia Approach Final Project and Residency
- Organizational Structures
- Research for School Improvement
- Ethical Issues in Educational Leadership
- Conflict Resolution and Consensus Building
*Candidates must take the two Introduction to Reggio Emilia courses (A and B) prior to taking any of the other Reggio courses.
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUM catalog.
Candidates successfully completing the M.Ed. with a professional concentration in the Reggio Emilia Approach would be eligible to teach in an early childhood setting as well as provide leadership to any Reggio inspired preschool program.