As children enter adolescence, their cognitive, behavioral, and psychological attributes begin to mature. Our Bachelor’s of Arts (BA) in Middle Childhood Education will ensure that you are prepared to assist children through this confusing and challenging transition. Our faculty members are passionate, experienced, hands-on educators who will impart on you the skills to support your students academically and emotionally.
The Middle Childhood license qualifies you to work with students in grades 4 – 9 in two content areas. The program provides the opportunity to:
- Learn with faculty who have real-world teaching experience
- Study in a team approach with adult learners
- Attend School of Education classes on weekday evenings
- Be eligible to earn an Ohio Resident Educator teaching license to work with students grades 4 – 9
To qualify for the middle childhood education Ohio Resident Educator License, candidates must have met the content requirements and have earned 49 semester-credits in the professional program as follows (includes the Ohio professional license reading courses):
- Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- Foundations of Education
- Whole Child Development and Learning
- Planning and Assessment for Student Learning
- Learning Environments
- Integrated Methods
- Clinical I – Internship
- Clinical II – Student Teaching
- Foundations for Reading Instruction
- Reading Assessment
- Content Literacy
Sample Course Sequence
Candidates who successfully complete the BA in Middle Childhood Education will be qualified to teach in any grades 4 -9 in two content areas.
Content Area Self-Evaluation
Applicants in MCE must qualify for two content areas.