Expand your global awareness by studying the religions, cultures, histories, and inventions of different civilizations from ancient to modern times. Investigate civilizations, world views, conflicts, and revolutions that have shaped history and changed lives. Delve into and debate the great classics of literature, philosophy, religion, and the arts that continue to enlighten and inspire people around the world. Closely observe these complex aspects of society to harness a deeper understanding of our world, stretch your imagination, and enlighten others.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
Our Humanities undergraduate degree program is a unique bachelor’s degree completion program that helps you:
- Sharpen your skills in critical analysis, improve your public speaking skills, and expand your global awareness.
- Discover how people over time have fathomed the cosmos, organized their communities, defined their identities, and developed relationships with others beyond their borders.
- Study patterns of daily life, the work of women as well as men, the role of leadership and authority, the clash of cultures, the development of global trade, the unending wars over religions and resources and the birth of our modern intellectual movements.
The Antioch University Midwest Humanities program challenges students to grow their resolve to create the kind of world humanity needs in order to achieve social justice, equity, peace, and meaning in their lives.
- Experience and Expression
- Modes and Methods of Learning
- Literary Analysis and Argumentation
- Culture, Conflict, and Social Research
- Foundations of Civilization
- Ecology, Technology, and Society
- Africa: Native Cultures to Independent Nations
- Middle East: Heritages & Conflicts
- India: Cultures, Literatures & Conflicts
- China: Cultural Roots & Modern Revolutions
- Medieval and Renaissance Europe
- Indigenous America & Legacy of Colonialism
- American Democracy, Capitalism, & Empire
- Senior Project
For course descriptions, please see the current course catalog.
Our Humanities concentration prepares you for graduate study in:
- Religious Studies
- Political Science
- International Relations
- Interrogate the dominant presumptions of modern western civilization in relation to the wider world
- Discover how civilizations grow and change in relation to evolving local environments and neighboring civilizations
- Analyze how mythopoetic, philosophical and scientific narratives express and address the enduring questions and pervasive dilemmas that all societies experience
- Compare and contrast the diverse range of civilizations in terms of their worldviews, canonical narratives, ideological foundations and modes of resistance and reform
- Assess how the diversity of religious, political and economic systems address the distribution of wealth, problems of order, questions of justice, and means of decision making
- Trace the origins and development of modern intellectual movements
- Debate how the world has come to be the way it is, why we all think the way we do, and what can be done to improve the lot of humanity.
Please check back for Application info
As part of AUM’s ongoing commitment to make college tuition as affordable as possible, we have partnered with Clark State Community College, Sinclair Community College, and Southern State Community College to offer 3+1 agreements which allow students who have finished certain associate’s degrees to seamlessly continue on to earn a bachelor’s degree from AUM.
There are no upcoming events at this time.