We are no longer offering this on-campus program at AU Midwest. We invite experienced educators to explore our online MEd for Experienced Educators options offered by our New England campus. View a complete list of all Education certificates, undergraduate and graduate degrees offered by Antioch University.
Transform your passion for learning with a Master’s in Education program that’s tailored towards progressive educators interested in taking on a teacher licensure program alongside their degree. By emphasizing experiential learning and hands-on training, we can help you enhance your academic and professional development to become an empowering educator.
With concentrations in Early Childhood Education and Middle Childhood Education, students at Antioch University Midwest can earn a graduate teaching degree and teaching certificate tailored to their specific area of interest.
Engage in insightful study, making connections between coursework and fieldwork, as well as theory and practice. This teaching degree program isn’t just about reading a textbook, it’s about instilling the skills you need to strengthen your educational commitments.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
If you have an undergraduate education degree and have always wanted to teach, you now have the opportunity to do so through the Antioch University Midwest Professional Preparation Program for Teacher Licensure. Designed for adult learners with busy schedules, this graduate professional program in education provides you with the coursework and preparation required for an Ohio Resident Educator License.
Through this unique learning experience, and consistent with Antioch’s philosophy of the development of the whole person, you will be encouraged to develop further your intellectual, social, emotional and ethical potential, thus preparing you for the rigors of teaching in today’s schools. Antioch University Midwest believes that all teachers who graduate from the Teacher Licensure programs must be able to connect with diverse classrooms, and be creative, competent, and compassionate leaders in the 21st Century.
Master of Education and Teacher Licensure programs at Antioch University Midwest feature:
- Evening classes so that candidates may continue to work
- Field observation hours attached to courses
- Student Centered, Non-Graded Alternative Evaluation
- An accelerated, prescribed program sequence for candidates to follow
- A cohort model that functions to provide ongoing support throughout the program
This 46-credit program can be completed in 4 semesters.
All students in the Professional Preparation Program for Teacher Licensure, regardless of the level or area of concentration they wish to teach, must meet the following requirements in order to be recommended for an Ohio Resident Educator License:
- All candidates, regardless of license being sought, must complete the general education requirements. Typically, general education and content requirements will have been completed as part of an undergraduate degree program.
- Complete and document the required focused field hours.
- Complete a minimum of 14 weeks (65 days) of full-time clinical work in an Antioch University Midwest approved setting.
- Education candidates are required to complete Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background checks. Background checks are valid for one year and must be current for all focused field hours and clinical experiences.
- Successfully complete the Antioch University Midwest Professional Preparation for Teacher Licensure program coursework.
- Successfully complete courses that fulfill the State of Ohio content requirements for general education and/or specified teaching concentration(s).
- Pass required state licensure tests at or above the minimum level established by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE).
- Pay all financial debts to Antioch University.
- Have no holds (financial, library, etc.) on their Antioch University account.
NOTE: As of September 3, 2013, the Ohio Assessments for Educators have replaced the Praxis II tests as the required Ohio educator licensure tests for most content areas. For complete information on state testing requirements, access the Ohio Department of Education’s website at www.education.ohio.gov. Type “OAE” in the search field.
Consistent with the best practices in education, you will learn through classes conducted in a seminar format and with course work organized in modules. Courses integrate varied learning styles and multiple intelligences.
Antioch University Midwest relies heavily on the integration of experience and theory. Through a focus on learning, teaching, curriculum, and assessment from a student-centered perspective, you are prepared to guide students in the development of the skills and knowledge needed in our rapidly changing world. Once you have completed the graduate education program, you will be a highly skilled teacher able to integrate theory and practice in today’s diverse classrooms.
Antioch University Midwest Bachelor of Arts and Master of Education programs give you the tools to develop your passion for teaching and implement it into your everyday classroom practice. Completion of our degree programs allows you to excel as a leader in early or middle childhood education..