Trauma occurs every day and in every person’s life. However, those with less resiliency, fewer resources, a past of adverse experience, or who are in the beginning stages of development, are more debilitated by traumatic experiences and are highly susceptible to traumatic disorders. A person that suffers from a trauma disorder carries that disorder everywhere; there is no discarding it at the door of a church, a playground, a babysitter’s, or a school. When children with traumatic disorders are in school they are surrounded by triggers (any sensory event that may remind the person’s brain or body of a past traumatic experience) and may become reactive or dissociative in response to a trigger.
While not every student comes in contact with a mental health professional, nearly every child in America comes in contact with a teacher and educational professionals. When educators have learned to recognize signs of developmental trauma, and how to respond, more children are served, and it is more possible to provide a solid education.
This certificate is offered by AU Midwest.
This four-class certificate examines trauma in the context of the learning environment. The classes have been developed to instruct practitioners in the overall impact of trauma in the school setting, the community, and the child’s home. The developmental effects of trauma and the ramifications of those effects on the academic setting of the child and their peers and teachers are explored in the second class. The interaction of the child within the community is the focus of the third class. In the final class, practitioners learn to apply the knowledge they have acquired to their individual child, classroom, and school.
How to Apply
- Please click here for our online application.
- Write and submit an Admissions Essay in a 1 – 2-page Word document answering each of the following questions in meaningful detail:
- Why did you choose Antioch?
- Why did you choose the program you are applying to?
- What are your future plans and how do you connect this program to your plans?
- Request transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Antioch University, in an unopened sealed envelope. We also accept e-transcripts at email@example.com. Please Note: You may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review of your application, but your application will not be considered complete until official transcripts are received.
Please submit all materials to:
Antioch University Midwest
900 Dayton Street
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
|Total Tuition Cost|
|Certificate in Dyslexia Studies||$468||17||$7,956|
|Certificate in Reggio Emilia Approach||$468||18||$8,424|
|Certificate in Trauma Informed Education||$468||12||$5,616|
Please note: Additional fees for all AUM programs may include (but are not necessarily limited to) charges for materials, late registration, enrollment maintenance, graduation, transcripts, tuition payment plan, late payments, late registration, and returned checks.
A majority of AUM students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUM.