- This event has passed.
Critical Skills Classroom Immersion
July 9 @ 8:00 am - July 13 @ 4:30 pmfree
The Critical Skills Immersion is an intensive course to introduce participating educators to all the dimensions of the Critical Skills Classroom. With the guidance and leadership of master teachers, participants experience the model as students, immersed in the philosophy and structures.
The Critical Skills Classroom is based on four different pillars of educational theory: collaborative learning, experiential learning, problem-based learning and standards-driven learning.
The Critical Skills Immersion examines strategies for:
- developing the classroom as a collaborative, problem-solving community
- using the experiential learning cycle to support student learning
- setting and maintaining criteria for quality work
- targeting the Critical Skills alongside the curriculum
- designing challenges that are connected to the subject
- using simple performance-based assessment tools
- planning and structuring student exhibitions of learning, and
- guiding student reflection and debriefing processes
The Critical Skills Classroom will help teachers engage Common Core aligned lessons that target speaking and listening skills, mathematical problems and higher order thinking skills.