- This event has passed.
MBA/RMC Community Meeting Forum – The Future of Competition with Anthropologist Mary Catherine Bateson
November 11, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 10:00 am ESTfree
At the third Community Meeting Forum of the Fall semester, writer and cultural anthropologist Mary Catherine Bateson, daughter of famed anthropologists Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson, will talk with MBA in Sustainability and Resource Management and Conservation students about sustainability and its implications for societies past, present, and future. Bateson resides in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire and has written and co-authored many books and articles. She lectures across the country and abroad, and has taught at Harvard, Northeastern University, Amherst College, Spelman College and in the Philippines and in Iran. Bateson is a Visiting Scholar at the Sloan Center for Aging and Work at Boston College and has served on multiple advisory boards dealing with climate change, including for the National Center for Atmospheric Research. In 2004 she retired from her position as Clarence J. Robinson Professor in Anthropology and English at George Mason University, and is now Professor Emerita.
Her books include:
- With a Daughter’s Eye: A Memoir of Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson
- Our Own Metaphor: A Personal Account of a Conference on the Effects of Conscious Purpose on Human Adaptation
- Peripheral Visions: Learning Along the Way
- Composing A Life
- Willing to Learn: Passages of Personal Discovery
- Angels Fear: Towards An Epistemology Of The Sacred (Advances in Systems Theory, Complexity, and the Human Sciences