Sandra Pinel, PhD
Research Scholar, Environmental Studies
Dr. Pinel, AICP is a Research Scholar at Antioch University New England and Prometeo Scholar at the Universidad Técnica Particular de Loja and co-leads the Mountain Social Ecological Observatory Network at the University of Idaho (MtnSEON).
Her interests are local, regional, and indigenous environmental governance. Her case study research in the US and Latin America applies anthropology and planning theory and ethnographic methods to investigate how and why diverse actors apply different cultural rules, policies and laws to manage cultural and natural landscapes that extend across multiple cultural and political boundaries. Pinel applies extended professional urban and regional planning career with Native American tribal, local, state, and federal government to engaged research and teaching partnerships in order to build local governance capacity.
Profesora Asociada, Universidad Técnica Particular de Loja, Ecuador
Fulbright NEXUS Scholar 2014-2016
- PhD, MS, Urban and Regional Planning, Minors Latin American Studies and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- BA, Anthropology, Brandeis University
- Vice President, American Planning Association Regional and Intergovernmental Division
- Fellow, Society for Applied Anthropology