RA Salt Marsh & Shellfish – R. Thiet
Start Date: May 20, 2019
End Date: Sept 1, 2019
Number of Positions: 1
Hours per Week: 15-20
Weekends Required: Possibly
Evenings Required: Possibly
Supervisor: Dr. Rachel Thiet
The Salt Marsh and Shellfish Research Assistant (RA) will assist Dr. Rachel Thiet with identifying and quantifying shellfish in sediment samples collected from a back-barrier salt marsh lagoon (East Harbor) on Cape Cod National Seashore. The RA will also manage the data set generated by the lab work, as well as perform descriptive statistics to evaluate trends in shellfish community composition and diversity. This position is part of a long-term project to characterize the responses of benthic macro-infauna to partial tidal restoration of salt marshes managed by Cape Cod National Seashore, US National Park Service.
- Interest in salt marsh restoration and shellfish ecology and management.
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Patience and willingness to spend extended periods of time working with very small organisms and a dissecting microscope.
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Familiarity with basic data management and data analysis techniques (e.g., descriptive statistics).
- Strong communication skills.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
- Eligible for Federal Work Study.
How to Apply:
Email: email@example.com by May 19, 2019