TA Conservation Biology – R. Thiet
Conservation Biology Teaching Assistant in the ES Master’s Program, Federal Work Study
Start Date: August 22, 2020
End Date: December 18, 2020
Number of Positions: 1
Hours per Week: 4-7
Weekends Required: No
Evenings Required: No
Supervisor: Dr. Rachel Thiet
This position allows for remote work (Yes/No): Yes; however, we may have approximately two field excursions during the semester if it is safe to do so.
Percentage of time that could be remote (0-100%): 80-90%
Method to assess remote work: N/A, as TA performance will not be assessed
Teaching Assistant for the Conservation Biology course in the ES Master’s Program. The Conservation Biology course TA will assist instructor Rachel Thiet in course delivery, including but not limited to lectures, labs, and field trips. The TA will also assist students one-on-one with course content and assignments as necessary outside of the scheduled class period.
- Took Conservation Biology in Fall 2019 and earned ‘V’ or better in all evaluative categories.
- Familiarity with basic data management techniques.
- Basic competency with R and GIS.
- Strong communication skills.
- Friendly, warm, and approachable.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
- Ability to attend most class periods (Thursdays 8-11 AM ET)
- Flexibility and willingness to meet with students outside of scheduled class periods
- Willingness to develop and deliver remote content delivery of three labs (biodiversity, population viability analysis, and landscape ecology)
- Familiarity with video and audio technology (or willingness to learn), to record field sessions for students joining us remotely
- FWS eligible
How to Apply:
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 AM ET on Wednesday, July 15, 2020:
- Current résumé; and
- One-page statement of how serving as the Conservation Biology TA will help you to achieve your academic and professional goals