Interact with children in intentional, constructive and creative ways that focus on children’s capabilities, competencies, and interests. Foster a learning environment that is based on relationships, reciprocal learning, and reflection to build a more stimulating and inclusive classroom. The Reggio Emilia Approach (REA) is grounded in the belief that children are active protagonists of their own growth and development process, and learning is a process of individual and group construction. In order to accomplish this, the classroom environment must be organized to provoke and support learning.
This certificate is offered by AU New England.
Antioch University New England is proud to offer experienced education professionals the opportunity to obtain an online certificate in the Reggio Emilia Approach. The Reggio Emilia Approach refers to the philosophy of early childhood education that originated in Reggio Emilia, Italy and was founded by Loris Malaguzzi. Many educators (e.g., Dewey, Piaget, Vygotsky, Gardner and Bruner) inspire and inform the Reggio Emilia Approach.
This REA is grounded in several key principles (e.g., Children are active protagonists of their growth and development process; Learning is a process of individual and group construction and the environment is organized to provoke and support learning).
Antioch University provides its students with an experiential approach to learning that emphasizes understanding of both theories and sound educational practice.
Length of Program:
This 18-credit program can be completed in 4 semesters.
- Introduction to Reggio Emilia Approach-A
- Introduction to Reggio Emilia Approach-B
- The Learning Environment as the Third Teacher
- Making Learning Visible through Observation and Documentation
- The Atelier and Learning – Arts Integration
- Comparative Approaches to Early Childhood Education
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUNE catalog.
Upon completion of this certificate and depending on state requirements, students can perform work as a:
- PK-3 Teacher
- Director of Reggio Emilia inspired preschool program
Candidates will understand the principle values associated with the early childhood work from Reggio Emilia, Italy. Candidates will demonstrate the implementation of these values in their own classroom.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application Form.
- Write and submit an Admissions Essay in a 1 – 2-page Word document answering each of the following questions in meaningful detail:
- Why did you choose Antioch?
- Why did you choose the program you are applying to?
- What are your future plans and how do you connect this program to you plans?
- There are additional requirements for International applicants and applicants without a Bachelor’s degree
- Request transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Antioch University New England, in an unopened sealed envelope. We also accept e-transcripts at email@example.com. Please Note: You may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review of your application, but your application will not be considered complete until official transcripts are received.
Please submit all materials to:
Antioch University New England
40 Avon Street
Keene, NH 03431
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
May 1 for Summer Start
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Interview with a faculty member of the department to which you seek entry if selected. This can be in person, by phone, or via Skype.
- Master’s and Certificate Programs do not require the GRE or any other standardized test for admissions. We consider all of your application materials, and evaluate your academic potential in a variety of ways.
A college education is an investment in your future. Let us help you understand the costs and explore the resources available to help make your college education even more affordable. The majority of AUNE students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUNE.
There are no upcoming events at this time.