Frank Rust Honored With Excellence in Teaching Award
Antioch University Santa Barbara (AUSB) faculty member Frank Price Rust III, PhD, will be honored with the 4th Annual Award for Excellence in Teaching at AUSB’s 2014 Commencement Ceremony on Friday, June 20.
Dr. Rust has taught research methods and statistics for over 10 years in both the BA and MA in Clinical Psychology programs. He is dedicated to student learning and success, bringing into the classroom innovative learning techniques that make statistics comprehensible.
“Frank is an incredible teacher who is able to make difficult subjects accessible to students and to address multiple learning styles,” said AUSB President Dr. Nancy Leffert. “We are so lucky to have him as a member of our AUSB community. Frank brings a very personal touch to his craft that is reflected in the commitment of his students. He goes the extra mile in making certain every student has the opportunity to succeed.”
Dr. Rust received his PhD in Developmental Psychology from UCSB in 1985. He is the author of numerous scholarly articles and reports in the area of mother/child health. He started as Adjunct Faculty at AUSB in 1992 teaching statistics, research methods, and psychology courses in both the Undergraduate and Masters programs and consistently receives glowing evaluations from his students. Dr. Rust has previously received the Judith M. Lewis Outstanding Educator Award from California State University (1997) and the Excellence in Distance Learning Teaching from the United States Distance Learning Association (1997).
AUSB’s Award for Excellence in Teaching is an annual recognition of a faculty member by his/her faculty peers based on the following criteria:
1. Excellence in teaching in general, particularly in teaching AU’s core purposes
2. Excellence in instruction design to achieve the school’s and the student’s goals
3. Engagement in teaching, stimulating, and educating students
4. Passion for inspiring students, “above and beyond the call of duty”
The first award, in 2011, recognized John Forhan, JD, Adjunct Faculty in the BA program. In 2012, the award was given to Juliet Rohde-Brown, PhD, Core Faculty and Chair of the doctoral program in Clinical Psychology (PsyD). Last year the award was given to Dawn Murray, PhD, Core Faculty in the BA program.
Congratulations, Dr. Rust, on this achievement!
Comments from AUSB faculty about Dr. Rust:
– “Frank addresses multiple learning styles effectively and brings a very personal touch to his craft that is reflected in the commitment of his students.”
– “His dedication to teaching and learning is above and beyond what can be expected of any faculty member as he goes the extra mile in making certain every student has the opportunity to succeed.”
Comments from Dr. Rust’s students:
– “To keep our attention in this subject takes a master—Frank is the best.”
– “He makes learning fun!”
– “Frank is by far the best teacher I have ever had.”