Administrative Support Specialist
Website Antioch University Santa Barbara
Location: AUSB Campus, Santa Barbara, CA
Under general supervision, Administrative Specialist I performs administrative and clerical support for a range of campus functions including facilities, academic administration, institutional research, and classroom stewardship at the AUSB campus. This position works with a basic degree of independent judgment, tack and initiative within clearly defined work procedures and standards. The Administrative Specialist I collaborates with and provides input to administration and staff in problem solving and developing procedural solutions to identify and create systems to improve programs and services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administrative Support – 80%
- Supports administration and staff, including generation and distribution of campus contact lists, building schedules, quarterly meeting calendars, and other documents, in adherence to program and campus deadlines
- Receives and places orders for campus supplies within University’s procedures on ordering, distributes materials
- Enters data and assists in the development of reports and other documents
- Updates, distributes and posts campus contact list, including updating staff and faculty mailboxes on a quarterly basis
- Processes payment requests, expense reimbursements and credit card expenses
- Collaborates on revisions to handbooks, manuals and forms
- Maintains complete and accurate files and records
- Attends meetings, takes minutes, and participates in events as assigned
- May collaborate on and support student retention, enrollment, marketing, alumni relations and other initiatives as assigned
- Performs a variety of routine office clerical duties to support the operations of the assigned work unit, program, or department, including filing, copying, stocking and organizing, preparing records, updating spreadsheets, and other related duties as assigned
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, copiers, printers, scanners, facsimile machines, multi-line telephones, and audio/visual equipment when necessary
- Campus Support – 15%
- Schedules and prepares rooms for external and internal events and meetings, ensuring all equipment is available and in working order.
- Assists with planning, set-up, cleanup and materials for events, including campus governance and community meetings
- Miscellaneous – 5%
- Provides telephone, front counter, support to students, staff, faculty, and the general public as assigned; responds to routine inquiries by explaining program requirements, policies, procedures, and according to established guidelines or by referring the customer to the appropriate source; provides general information regarding the assigned program, department; distributes applications, forms, and other documents as requested and may assist students, visitors, and other customers in completing such documents; refers callers/visitors to appropriate departments or individuals; provides geographical directions to visitors; takes and relays accurate messages; transfers callers to voicemail when necessary
- Maintain up-to-date work instructions on primary duties to ensure internal procedures are upheld and to serve as guides for others that may provide back-up and participates in cross-training in order to provide back-up support to others
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree in administrative assistance, secretarial science or related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 1 year general office experience. In lieu of associates’ degree, high school diploma/GED and 2 years’ of full-time directly related experience preferably involving interaction with the public may be substituted. Experience in an academic institution is preferred.
- Competency using desktop software including Microsoft Office Suite and standard office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices of world class customer service
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Possess excellent computer skills including skill in the use of the internet and related web tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build positive relations with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing; ability to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner
- Skill in managing one’s own time
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and deadlines while exercising a high degree of diplomacy, discretion and creative problem solving
- Ability to handle pressure, demanding constituency and uncomfortable situations with constituents
- Ability to exercise discretion and handle confidential information
- Ability to work independently and on a team with minimal supervision; exercise a high level of tact and judgement in addressing members of the campus community
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative work environment
Hours of Employment:
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. The typical work week is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., 40 hours per week.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office to be housed at Antioch University in Santa Barbara, California
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Qualified applicants should send a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com