Position: Admissions Counselor
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Reports to: Director of Admissions
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Closed: Until filled
The Admissions Counselor is the first point of contact and first impression prospective students will have of Antioch University. This person needs to have a desire to help make a difference in people’s lives. The Admissions Counselors plays a vital role in advising and assisting students with the pursuance of their educational goals. Admissions Counselors will take incoming calls, and make outbound calls, texts and emails to/from prospective and returning students. It is the Admissions Counselor’s responsibility to accurately assess and educate prospective students on our university, and its requirements. The goal is to recommend students for acceptance and enroll them into their chosen program of study.
- Admissions Counselor Duties (50%)
- Cultivate a relationship with prospective students using telemarketing, text and email; prospect management follow up of qualified prospective students
- Conduct detailed pre-admission counseling for prospective graduate and undergraduate students
- Collaborate with Program Coordinators, Student Services and Campus Services to assist with new and continuing student orientations
- Provide input in the budgeting process for the upcoming fiscal year Admissions and Financial Aid budget
- Be knowledgeable of trends influencing enrollment and proactively address opportunities
- Recommend appropriate technologies to support enrollment functions
- Must be self-motivated to ensure ongoing training for enrollment management processes, federal and state updates, and new technologies
- Articulate admissions policies and provide information to both internal and external constituencies
- Maintain confidentiality on issues related to prospective student personal issues raised during counseling session(s), status and performance, grievances, or other program concerns. Protect student privacy in full compliance with FERPA requirements
- Convert data into reports and recommendations for action by University and campus leadership.
- Understand productivity reports to assure achievement of university goals
- Application Review (20%)
- Perform evaluation of unofficial transcripts for undergraduate programs
- Oversee submission of completed application files to Program Chairs and Director of Admissions for admission decisions
- Recruitment and Retention Duties (20%)
- Coordinate and implement recruitment activities on and off campus including, but not limited to, college transfer and graduate fairs, career fairs, college counselor luncheons, career center and/or advisor luncheons, on-site workshops, meetings with community agencies and educational groups.
- Coordinate scheduling of information sessions with Program Coordinators, Program Chairs, faculty, campus services and website coordinator
- Co-host information sessions with faculty presenters
- Adheres to laws and regulations governing student recruitment activities
- Analyze inquiry, applicant and enrolled student data for the development, implementation and evaluation of recruitment strategies
- Miscellaneous (10%)
- Participate on university-wide committees as requested and engage others in enrollment initiatives Consistently deliver exemplary student service as measured by the key performance indicators
- Create and nurture external community and professional relationships
- Provide continuous evaluation of processes and procedures at the end of each intake cycle with results being used to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers.
- Work in collaboration and cooperation with leadership and academic divisions on campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Business Administration, Management or related field from an accredited college or university and 2 years of experience in higher education preferred. In lieu of Bachelor’s degree, high school diploma/GED and 4 years’ of full-time directly related experience preferably involving interaction with the public may be substituted. Experience in an academic institution is preferred.
- Competency using desktop software including Microsoft Office Suite and standard office equipment; Datatel Colleague and Salesforce experience a plus
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general periodicals, journals, procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Bilingual (Spanish).
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Hours of Employment: This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. The typical work week is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., 40 hours per week.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ANTIOCH RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Qualified applicants should send a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org