AU Core Faculty Graduate Research Faculty Librarian
Internal applications only
Antioch University’s Graduate School of Leadership & Change seeks a highly skilled, innovative and experienced senior-level graduate research librarian to serve the doctoral students of its distinctive interdisciplinary PhD in Leadership & Change and programs in the planning. The embedded role of the faculty Librarian in the PhDLC’s paradigm-shifting model (www.phd.antioch.edu/phd) means the individual provides personalized support to the program’s 170 doctoral students from first-year searches to dissertation completion including meetings with students at face-to-face residencies and providing one-on-one tutoring and searches virtually throughout the year. Our Librarian creatively creates and connects library services and supports for the program’s unique competency-based learning model, elevating issues of information literary and digital scholarship into all that we do. The GSLC Librarian, as a full member of the graduate faculty team, attends and participates in all biweekly (virtual) faculty meetings, quarterly faculty meetings and annual retreats, bringing his/her insights and expertise to continuously improve student learning, faculty teaching and scholarship, and program quality.
This is a unique and compelling full-time faculty position for the right librarian. In addition to excellent research library skills, we are looking for an individual who is committed to student learning and passionate about higher education experimentation, particularly as it involves digital scholarship. We need a librarian who excels in the innovative use of technology to support the geographically dispersed learning community.
The GSLC Librarian would join the program’s 9 full-time faculty in delivering an outcomes-based, cohort-designed hybrid program. We are seeking a librarian who will continually innovate by applying the best and most relevant educational technologies and library services to our hybrid graduate school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide proactive and personalized library [or research] support for the teaching, learning, and scholarship of the GSLC – students and faculty.
- Design and offer face-to-face teaching and mentoring at four residencies annually and online library focused sessions offered throughout the year.
- Conduct individualized search sessions, offered throughout the year; all search results are archived on individual support pages.
- Acquire resources for and coordinate the residency readings by providing lists, materials, and links.
- Design and manage the GSLC archival space within Antioch’s BePress Digital Commons instance, AURA: Antioch University Repository and Archive.
- Embolden and enrich the GSLC Virtual Library Gateway to create a dynamic site through the Springshare platform [including Libguides, Libwizard, Libcal and allied software.
- Ensure that all program’s dissertations have secured and authorized copyrights. Work closely with the University’s WEX, center for dissertation editing and submissions.
- Proactively communicate to the GSLC Community recent developments in topics around information literacy, scholarly communication, and scholarship relevant to the program.
- As a member of the GSLC faculty, participate in the work of the program, including representing the research needs and contributions in curriculum development and program materials.
- Work in close partnership with the program’s Instructional Design Strategist to enhance and integrate the library’s presence and usefulness within the GSLC virtual space.
- Represent the GSLC in the Antioch University Library Resource Group.
- Participate in the planning processes for future GSLC programs, insuring high quality, personalized and virtual library support needs are included from the outset.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- An ALA accredited Masters in Library Science (MLS) and a subject Masters are required; MLS with PhD or EdD strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five years providing sophisticated library services to graduate students.
- Significant experience working with doctoral students through dissertation completion.
- Significant experience working with adult learners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in a range of platforms, tools and technologies and comfort with virtual capabilities.
- Must be able to travel.
- Comfort and significant experience with being part of a geographically dispersed learning community.
- Strong self-management skills.
The GSLC Librarian works from a home office. Travel and other expenses to fulfill program responsibilities are fully covered. Initial two-year contract moves to three-year rolling after successful completion of initial period.
Hours of Employment:
This is a full-time position. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
While performing the duties of this job, the Core Faculty member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Will have to drive, fly or commute to meetings, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Please send your CV, letter articulating your interest and alignment, and any supporting materials to:
Graduate School Provost,
Internal candidate- deadline August 15, 2017
To apply for this job email your details to Lalexandre@antioch.edu