Peer Writing Tutor
Department: Writing Center
Reports to: Allison Adelman, Writing Center Director
Hours: 15-20 hr/wk
Meets one-on-one with students and provides peer assistance with the writing process. Fulfills office duties including scheduling tutoring appointments and filling out appropriate forms after tutoring sessions. Works toward improving knowledge/skills related to writing and tutoring by completing assigned training readings/activities and participating in weekly tutor training sessions. Actively seeks to contribute to Writing Center services by creating writing resources.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets one-on-one with students to help them with their writing
- Ensures the Writing Center is welcoming to students
- Maintains confidentiality between students/Writing Center staff and others
- Avoids appropriation of students’ writing to ensure that students’ work is still their own
- Receives favorable feedback from students via pre-/post-tutoring session survey
- Completes assigned training readings and activities in a timely fashion
- Attends and participates in weekly tutor training sessions
- Promptly responds to email/phone appointment requests and other student correspondence
- Completes tutoring session follow-up forms after appointments
- Assists with compiling and analyzing quarterly data, or with other office duties, upon request
- Arrives promptly and remains in the Writing Center for the duration of scheduled shifts
- Strong background in academic writing and/or awareness of own writing process
- Ability to help students with writing, e.g., brainstorming, outlining, organization of thoughts, thesis statement development, argumentation, and APA formatting/citation methods
- Willingness to improve knowledge/skills related to writing through training readings/activities
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Positive, patient attitude toward students and other Writing Center staff members
- Good team spirit and dedication to improving Writing Center services
- Computer skills: MS Word; Also preferred: PowerPoint, Prezi, Excel, WordPress
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a part-time position. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the Writing Center Director and governed by the amount of financial aid awarded to each individual in the position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Federal Work Study pay is $14.00 hourly. FWS employees are covered under the University’s workers compensation plan.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Antioch reserves the right to change the duties of this position at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.