Student Accounts Specialist
Antioch University Santa Barbara
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Department: Business Office
Reports to: Director of General Accounting
Position open until filled
This position provides leadership in the maintenance and implementation of all systems, functions and accountabilities of the Santa Barbara Student Accounts Office (SAO). All functions of the SAO must be performed professionally, in a timely manner, to ensure proper accounting and receipt of student tuition and customer satisfaction. This position reports to the Director of General Accounting (off-site), works closely with the Director of Student Services (on-campus) and is an integral part of the Student Services team on the Santa Barbara campus. A professional and collaborative attitude is essential for this position.
Success in this position requires the ability to serve multiple constituencies on campus (faculty, staff and students); coordinate efforts with multiple departments (finance, financial aid, student services, records & registration, IT, and academics, among others); help coordinate resolution of conflicts among constituencies and departments as they relate to student accounts; apply appropriate accounting practices to the student accounts information; and source, assemble and disseminate complete and accurate information. Core skills also include clear communication skills, both written and oral; superior organizational skills; and the ability to manage competing priorities.
Essential Job Functions
Accounts Receivable and Student Billing (40%)
- Validate all tuition and fee billing charges and communicate billing information to students and third parties in a timely manner. Consult with other campus departments as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness of billing.
- Collect and post tuition and miscellaneous payments daily from students and other sources to subsidiary and general ledger accounts.
- Manage collections by providing timely invoices; set up and monitor payment plans; monitor and evaluate receivables; and coordinate delinquent account collections.
- Collaborate with other departments to consider and resolve all student petitions for exceptions involving student accounts.
- Within federal guidelines, collaborate with the financial aid and records & registration offices to determine timely and valid application of financial aid funds to student accounts, create and distribute financial aid and other refund checks, including required loan disbursement notices.
- Maintain status as Veterans’ Affairs school certifying official and perform required tasks.
- Collaborate with bookstore to establish and monitor bookstore student accounts.
- Perform monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations as determined necessary to ensure accurate financial reporting and compliance with all state and federal regulations including the annual university audit and 1098-T requirements.
Customer Service (35%)
- Provide professional, accessible and responsive customer services to students, employees and third parties with an ‘open door’ policy for unscheduled interface with all parties by phone, in person or through email including monitoring the SAO email dropbox. Provide advice and assistance on a variety of student accounts and accounts receivable topics.
- Monitor and update the student handbook and campus website for matters pertaining to student accounts.
Sustainable Systems (15%)
- Collaborate with the University Student Accounts team to develop and maintain sustainable systems that support the functions and accountabilities of the SAO.
- Develop and document policies and procedures for the SAO internally as well as for students in coordination with other campus departments.
- Monitor and review services provided and develop plans for new or improved services to accommodate the needs of students or reduce costs while striving for sustainability.
Other duties, as assigned (10%)
- Provide support and back up for the Business Office, as needed.
- Associates degree in a related field from an accredited institution preferred or a minimum of 4 years’ accounts receivable experience required preferably in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a range of software such as Ellucian Colleague or similar ERP, Microsoft Excel, and database applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative work environment
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and problem-solve complex customer and accounting issues
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, to manage competing priorities, to work in periodic occasions of high stress and to otherwise thrive in a fluid and changing environment
- Possess excellent computer skills including skill in the use of integrated software systems
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills (listening skills, problem solving, working collaboratively, open to feedback, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing; ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy
- Skill with the internet to use as resource, research and work tool
- Skill in managing one’s own time
- Ability to work under periods of prolonged concentration subject to frequent interruptions
- Ability to work independently and on a team with minimal supervision; exercise a high level of tact and judgement in addressing members of the campus community
- Ability to use judgement and initiative in applying policies and procedures to difficult and unusual situations
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
Office to be housed at Antioch University in Santa Barbara, California.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time. This position required a background check.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Please send coverletter, resume/CV and reference letter as documentation when submitting for the position. Please send your documentation to, attn: Marcus McMillian at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Student Accounts Specialist” in the subject line.
Click on the “Click to Apply” here to attach your documents and put “Student Accounts Specialist” in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com