Implement change through education.
Teaching adults can be both exciting and rewarding and those who do it well understand that they need a specific set of skills to meet the needs of adult learners. In this certificate program, you will learn from faculty who are experienced in working with adult populations and who understand the most effective teaching methods to engage them. Our Adult Education certificate gives you these skills through a combination of theoretical concepts and hands-on experience. This program allows you to be mentored by skilled instructors and network with other like-minded peers. You may use your certificate towards the teaching position you’ve always imagined and also apply it toward a master’s degree.
This certificate is offered by AU Seattle.
Certificate Program Overview
In this program, you will receive the tools to create and implement educational experiences that meet the needs of a variety of adult learners.
Students have the opportunity to interact with highly experienced instructors who have professional experience in the field of adult education. Classes are dynamic and engaging and they bring theoretical concepts into hands-on practice. The program includes plenty of opportunities for personal mentoring and networking. We offer a student-centered approach—both to our candidates and to the students they will be serving. The program is personalized to students’ unique needs, interests, and career goals. It appeals to adult educators interested in a variety of settings.
- 16-20 credits over an academic year
- One Adult Education course per quarter
- Classes are offered in the evenings to accommodate the schedules of working professionals
- Adult Teaching and Learning Frameworks
- Adult Education Settings
- Teaching Toolkit
- Improving Adult Education Through Assessment
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUS catalog.
Our program prepares you for meaningful and successful employment, including such jobs as:
- Adult Basic Education instructor
- Workforce developer
- Teacher/ trainer in a nonprofit or social service agency
- Adjunct faculty member
- Program manager
- Trainer for a company, corporation, or community organization
- Students will learn how adults learn and how to best design educational experiences for adult audiences.
- Students will explore different adult education settings and the kinds of teaching that are best suited to those settings.
- Students will develop their own teaching practices and will gain hands-on experience teaching to adult audiences.
- Students will learn research-based best practices in various adult education settings and focus on teaching techniques pertinent to their area of focus.
- Students will learn to create effective and supportive education programs through assessment and evaluation techniques.
We are currently seeking approval for this certificate to be eligible for federal student loans; please check with Financial Aid for updates.