Field Instructor, School of Education, Teacher Education Programs
Antioch University Seattle is seeking applications for a part-time faculty member in our Alternative Route to Teacher Certification (ARTC) Program. This is a “Grow Your Own” teacher education program in partnership with the Kent School District (KSD). The ARTC Program is intended to support KSD classified staff and community members in becoming teachers — all while continuing to work full-time in KSD schools. The program explicitly works to support teacher candidates who are not often supported by traditional teacher education programs (multilingual people, poor people, and people of Color).
Field Instructors visit school settings, work with mentor teachers and supervise, coach, and evaluate teacher candidates during their student teaching experiences.
The primary responsibilities of the candidate for this part-time position include:
- Communicate Antioch University Seattle expectations for student teaching to mentor teachers and school administrators
- In collaboration with Antioch faculty, provide mentor teachers with an orientation to Antioch University Seattle and student teaching experience
- Conduct regular on-site observations for teacher candidates completing their student teaching in schools in the Kent School District. Observations may take place throughout Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters.
- When necessary, observe and communicate electronically or by telephone with Antioch students, the ARTC Program Coordinator, and/or mentor teachers
- Arrange regular conferences with candidates and mentor teachers, and provide candidates with ongoing oral and written feedback
- Complete formal evaluations of teacher candidates throughout the student teaching experience
- Provide teacher candidates with opportunities for continued professional growth
- Serve as a liaison between the University and the student teaching placement, offering information and support to mentor teachers and administrators as needed
- Participate in meetings at AUS campus or in the Kent School District
- Master’s Degree with a degree in elementary education or related degree
- At least 3 years of teaching experience
- Demonstrated success in supervising pre-service and/or in-service teachers
- Special consideration will be given to multilingual applicants and those with experience teaching English Language Learners
- Demonstrated commitment to working for social justice and equity in education
- Experience working successfully in culturally and linguistically diverse school settings
- Collaborative interpersonal style
- Demonstrated organization, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Must have or have held a teaching license (can be expired and/or out-of-state)
- Experience with online technology
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. We particularly encourage multilingual people, people of Color, members of other marginalized communities and individuals already embedded within local Puget Sound communities to apply.
Complete and submit the following documents by August 16, 2019 to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
- Names, addresses (including email addresses) and telephone numbers of three references. References will not be contacted without prior approval of the candidate.
For accommodations to complete the application process, and/or if selected for an interview, please contact the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Antioch University is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the University not to discriminate against and to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, and veteran status.