Student Employee – Peer Writing Consultant
Position Title: Student Employee – Peer Writing Consultant
Position Type: Federal Work-Study
Department: Academic Support Lab
Supervisor: Lindsey Gay
Supervisor’s Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Date: Winter 2018
Number of Positions: multiple
Hours per Week: 10
GENERAL SUMMARY: ASL Writing Consultants work in Antioch’s Academic Support Lab to provide feedback on writing. ASL Writing Consultants are primarily responsible for reviewing and responding to student writing through in-person consultation. During consultation sessions, ASL Writing Consultants assist students in identifying and strengthening writing goals, processes, and strategies within a positive, non-judgmental environment. ASL Writing Consultants also monitor the online registration and scheduling system, facilitate writing workshops on campus and in classrooms throughout the quarter, conduct writing assessments on weekly basis, manage small administrative tasks, and participate in professional development.
FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide feedback on student writing through in-person consultation in a manner that aligns with the ASL philosophy of teaching and learning writing.
- Communicate with the ASL Coordinator regularly about emerging ASL issues and goals through group professional development meetings and individual check-ins.
- Read and reflect upon professional development materials and participate actively in professional development opportunities.
- Conduct writing assessments for an array of Antioch programs as needed.
- Facilitate one or more writing-related workshops on campus quarterly and prepare accompanying presentation materials (handouts, prezi, etc.).
- Engage in ancillary work related to program development and administration as directed.
- Consultants must have a strong proficiency in writing. Experience tutoring or teaching in some capacity strongly desired.
- Consultants should be effective collaborators and communicators interested in supporting other AUS students’ growth as writers.
- Consultants should be interested in contributing to ongoing conversation and improvement of composition/writing center theory and practices.
- Consultants must have a strong self-directed work ethic and be able to regularly schedule and fulfill their ASL responsibilities.
- Strong presentation and resume-writing skills are a significant plus.
- Most importantly, we seek individuals who are reflective, collaborative, able to accept and utilize feedback, and eager to grow and develop their own skills.
Note: Only students with Federal Work-Study eligibility may apply. Contact the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com if you have any questions about your eligibility.