As the world’s only MFA program specifically devoted to literature and the pursuit of social justice, this dual degree combines the curriculum of our MFA in Creative Writing and the Urban Sustainability MA. By pairing these two degrees you’ll explore communication skills while applying creative and complex solutions to the challenges of our time. Learn the art of articulation and the nuances of social justice to become an influencer in the global community’s conversation about climate change and inequality.
This degree is offered by AU Los Angeles.
Graduates earn both an Urban Sustainability Masters of Arts (USMA) and an MFA in Creative Writing within a three-year period, reducing the time and cost of completing these degrees separately. Ideally, students begin working toward their USMA first, adding in components of the creative writing program in parallel with intensive capstone work as urban problem solvers.
Designed as a six-semester endeavor, specializations are offered in fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and/or writing for young people–creating pathways to effectively communicate issues and empower individuals and communities to solve them.
- First three semesters are in the USMA program and the final three are in the MFA program
- Fieldwork takes place in the second semester and the Capstone in the third semester
- MFA coursework begins during the fourth semester, with advanced standing, after designing a project period proposal under the guidance of an MFA mentor
- Learn through experiential methods that matter, such as our Big Question Lab, an intensive engagement with a strategic community organization around an important sustainability question
- Fieldwork done in USMA fulfills the MFA field study requirement and the capstone fulfills the critical paper requirement
- Hybrid program with residencies at the beginning of each semester, a 20+ week semester of online/remote coursework, and a concluding residency for graduating student presentations
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the Admissions Dialogue Essay.
- Send in official transcript indicating Bachelor’s degree conferral from a regionally accredited college or university. Requested copy of official transcripts must be sent directly to the Admissions Office at Antioch University Los Angeles from the institution from which you received your accredited bachelor’s degree. A student copy of a transcript may be submitted with your application, but official transcripts are required upon admission.
Please submit all materials to:
Admissions Office, 400 Corporate Pointe, Culver City, CA 90230.
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
Please note: Additional fees for all Antioch University Los Angeles programs may include (but are not necessarily limited to) charges for materials, late registration, enrollment maintenance, parking, graduation, transcripts, tuition payment plan, late payments, late registration, and returned checks.
A majority of AULA students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AULA. Returning to school is a big decision, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful one.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Antioch University and Monadnock Family Services Seek Larger Facilities to Accommodate Growth
by Karen Hamilton on October 21, 2021 at 5:03 pm
NCSPP Students of Color Council
by Antioch University on October 20, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Antioch PhD Candidate Clara Fang Receives Switzer Fellowship for Work in Diversity and the Climate Movement
by Hunter Gagnon on October 20, 2021 at 6:56 pm