Discover the power of your words, and turn your love of literature and writing into a meaningful profession. Examine and analyze great works of literature to grasp a deeper understanding of the variety and evolution of written language. This understanding that goes well beyond superficial observation will help you in developing your own tone of voice and unique writing style. Refine your creative voice and learn how to better articulate prolific thoughts to influence and lead others. Writing is an infinitely powerful tool, and with the help of an Antioch University professor you can harness its full capabilities.
This degree is offered by AU Online.
Antioch University’s online Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Literature and Creative Writing presents an affordable degree completion option, accelerating your progress toward a career in writing while keeping your financial future intact. This program combines an examination of great works of literature with perspective on how to use them to inspire your own writing.
Through coursework focusing on creative writing, you will hone your craft with hands-on writing practice and the study of meaningful and inspiring examples from literature.
- Practice writing in multiple genres to discover your interests and strengths.
- Explore new and emerging formats such as social media, blogging, and the web.
- Learn the ins and outs of the publishing industry, from how to find an agent to crafting your writing to a specific audience.
With a concentration in Literature and Creative Writing, you will learn to critically analyze works of literature from an academic perspective. You will also develop a comprehensive view of English-language literature through social, historical, cultural, and theoretical lenses while practicing your ability to communicate your ideas in the written form.
Requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree through Antioch University Connected include a minimum of 120 semester credit hours. A minimum of 45 semester credits must be completed with Antioch University. All majors contain both Interdisciplinary Core and Major Requirements.
Interdisciplinary Core Courses:
- Experience and Expression
- Modes and Methods of Learning
- Literary Analysis and Argumentation
- Culture, Conflict, and Social Research
- Foundations of Civilization
- Ecology, Technology, and Society
Literature and Creative Writing Course Requirements(Choose a total of 11 courses from the following list. Senior Project is required.)
- Short Story Writing
- Playwriting & Performance
- Multi-Genre Writing
- History of the English Language
- Poetry Writing
- Social Media & Social Change
- Creative Nonfiction
- Antioch Writers’ Workshop Seminar
- Mixed Race Women’s Memoirs OR LIT 4420 African American Literature
- American Literature
- English Literature
- Senior Project
The professional writing field is changing dramatically with the growth of digital media and the ease and availability to create new online resources. Antioch’s online liberal arts courses will prepare you to successfully adapt to a constantly evolving field, with a core focus on writing in different genres and formats.
Career possibilities are appearing through emerging media formats and the self-publishing industry. Skills can be applied to employment in both new and traditional areas of the field:
- Digital media
- Online publishing
- Book and magazine publishing
- Public relations
- Corporate communications
Antioch’s requirements for candidates to the bachelor completion programs include:
- At least 24 semester credits of transferable undergraduate work completed from a regionally accredited college or university
- Goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (if requested)
- Completion of an admissions interview with a faculty member (if requested)
Students in this program participate in online learning activities organized within small- and large-group learning communities. Antioch University Online is a 100% online learning environment, and therefore, in addition to having the traditional learning skills, students are expected to have basic technological skills, compatible computer hardware, operating system, and internet connectivity upon entrance into the program.
At just $350 per credit, our bachelor’s completion programs offer a value that few universities of our caliber can match. By taking advantage of our generous transfer policy, you can complete your undergraduate degree for less than $20,000.
Several financial aid options are also available to help you earn your degree. Federal and state grants and federal loans may be available for Antioch students who qualify.