While always having been a core aspect of psychology practice, there is now recognition that exposure to chronic traumatic events can have a devastating effect on psychological, emotional and social well being. Traumatic events can vary in duration, intensity, and impact, but the detrimental effects on the psychological health of those affected is significant and often times debilitating. Whether it’s a result of crime, natural catastrophe or conflict related trauma, you will learn how to provide competent, sensitive and skilled therapy to those suffering.
The impact of trauma has developed in its sophistication within the last two decades.
The Psychological Trauma Studies specialization (PTS) offers core courses, elective courses and workshops to students interested in learning more about the causes, assessment, and treatments of psychological trauma. In addition, concerns specific to therapists and first responders are explored, including those of burnout and vicarious traumatization. Strong emphasis is placed on the use of evidence-based and evidence- informed treatment protocols to support survivors. Successful completion of the specialization includes field clinical experience in an agency setting providing trauma-related mental health services to the civilian and/or military community.
The Psychological Trauma Studies specialization prepares you to work with those who have experienced such trauma, in an effort to resolve and release its lasting effects. This specialization provides you with the special skills to identify and treat the effects of psychological trauma regardless of its source.
Specialization Courses (17 units)
- Trauma Assessment and Treatment Across the Developmental Spectrum
- Sexual Trauma and Human Trafficking
- Disasters, Mass Violence and Psychological First Aid
- Traumatic Grief and Loss
- Ax/Tx of Military and First Responders
- Post Traumatic Growth
- PTS Electives (3 quarter units)
For detailed curriculum and degree requirements, please visit the Antioch University Los Angeles catalog.
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Addiction and Recovery Specialization
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Applied Community Psychology Specialization
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Child Studies Specialization
- MA in Clinical Psychology, General Practice Specialization
- MA in Clinical Psychology, LGBT-Affirmative Psychology
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Professional Clinical Counselor Specialization
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Spiritual and Depth Psychology Specialization