Be the change the world needs. Be part of the integrated healthcare revolution.
Start working in health counseling or psychology sooner and with more practical experience by getting a Bachelor of Arts degree in Health Counseling and Psychology (BA HCP). The program will prepare you to meet the growing need for integrated healthcare and mental health workers. Our evidence-based, wellness-focused, applied education includes integration of theory with solid experience in the field to get you ready for new opportunities.
This degree is offered by AU Seattle.
The Antioch University Seattle (AUS) Bachelor of Arts in Health Counseling and Psychology is an applied completion program for those with an interest in working at the intersection of wellness and mental health. It is an integrated perspective, connecting biological, psychological and social processes as they relate to developing and maintaining overall wellness. It also addresses how culture, geography, race, and experiences can factor into physical and psychological wellness.
Many aspects of this BA completion program prepare graduates for employment and career advancement: assignments that integrate classroom learning with application in the world; learning to articulate what one knows, values, is passionate about and committed to changing in the world; internships and senior/capstone projects.
Upon completion of the BA in Health Counseling and Psychology degree, graduates will be prepared to work in this fast-growing applied sector as a:
- Wellness Coordinator
- Case Manager
- Care Coordinator
- Behavioral Health Specialist
- Residential Site Coordinator
Be the change you want to see.
- Integrate psychology and counseling skills with health and wellness
- Understand how behavior and health interact
- Learn about healthy coping and resiliency
- Decrease risk factors linked to preventable morbidity and death
- Help increase patients’ motivation for positive change
MA Pathways Programs accelerate your progress towards your goals.
The MA Pathways programs save you time and money. If accepted into one of our MA program you may start classes while completing your BA degree. The first 12 credits of your MA program are also counted as the last 12 credits of your BA degree. We offer MA degrees in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) or Couple and Family Therapy (CFT). Both of these degrees can be combined with Art Therapy or Drama Therapy. Obtaining your MA degree expands your options in the fields of mental health and health counseling psychology.
The length of time it will take a student to complete this degree depends upon the number of credits transferred into the program, the use of prior learning credits and testing credits, and the number of credit hours taken each term. Antioch University operates on the quarter system. The classes are small, held once a week, and meet on a weeknight and weekend day. Classes are offered in in-person, hybrid and online modalities.
A minimum of 180-quarter credits (maximum of 120 lower division, plus a minimum of 60 upper division) is required with a minimum of 45 residency credits at AUS. As this is a degree completion program, a minimum of 36 transfer credits is required.
Credits are fulfilled as required by the following program elements:
- General Education/Liberal Arts Requirements
- Shared Learning Outcomes
Core Psychology Coursework
- Developmental Perspectives
- Abnormal Psychology
- Either a Positive Psychology/Resiliency or Somatic Psychology course
- Research Methods
Health Psychology Coursework
- Health Psychology and Promotion
- Either Biological Systems and Human Health or Neuropsychology
- Either Creative Arts Healing or Applied Mindfulness
Counseling Coursework & Supervised Field Experiences
- Counseling Role
- Ethics in Professional Settings
- Psychology Field Experience
Students select from a broad array of electives such as Palliative Care and Bereavement, Addictions and Attachment, Trauma and the Expressive Arts, Somatic Awareness, and Resiliency and Strength-Based Approaches.
Optional Emphasis Areas:
An optional emphasis area can be proposed if the student has at least 12 credits that show special focus and depth of learning in a particular area.
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUS catalog.
Graduates of the BA in Health Counseling and Psychology program can expect to evidence the Shared Learning Outcomes common to all AU undergraduate programs:
- Application of critical thinking and creative problem solving (Critical Thinking)
- Articulation and understanding of multiple and diverse perspectives, within a global context (Diverse Perspectives)
- Analysis of social justice issues (Social Justice)
- Application of abstract knowledge to practical experience and concrete issues (Applied Learning)
- Demonstration of effective communication (Communication)
- Demonstration of increased self-awareness through critical reflection (Self-awareness)
If accepted into either our MA program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) or Couple and Family Therapy (CFT), you may start classes while completing your BA degree, graduating 12 credits sooner. This saves additional time and costs, and gets you in the field sooner. You can also exit at the end of the BA program into a new career and reapply later to complete a Master’s degree. Obtaining your MA degree expands your options in the fields of mental health and health counseling psychology.
At Taos Museum, Alum Fuses Psychology with Visual Art
by Georgina Marie Guardado on September 20, 2022
Why I Chose Antioch | Angela Elayne Gibbs
by Antioch University on August 26, 2022
Cool Courses: The Rise of Black Power Movement & the Black Panther Party
by Malia Gaffney on August 18, 2022