Immerse yourself in your education.
Develop the skills you need to be successful in whatever career path you choose with a BA in Liberal Studies. Skills like leadership, communication, social justice, and sustainable business—all grounded in a foundation of the humanities with a multicultural focus to give you a well-rounded education to succeed.
Apply up to 135 quarter credits if at least 15 are upper division transfer credits, and learn about prior learning credits for professional or military work experience. Become part of a powerful community of engaged students of all backgrounds, and acquire the skills, knowledge, and hands-on experience to meet your goals.
Choose from 8 Areas of Concentration, or create your own Individualized course of study:
- Arts and Literature Concentration
- Communication & Media
- Global and Social Justice Studies
- Leadership & Sustainable Business
- Psychology and Counseling
- Spiritual Studies
- Urban Ecology
- Individualized Concentration
This degree is offered by AU Seattle.
The average time to complete this degree is 1-2 years, depending on number of credits transferred into AUS.
The Liberal Studies Bachelor degree requires 180 quarter credits, including a minimum of 60 upper division credits, and a maximum of 120 lower division credits. Graduation requirements include 7 liberal studies courses, an internship or other in the world learning experience of the student’s choosing, an area of concentration consisting of at least 40 credits, and a senior capstone project.
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUS catalog.
Our various concentrations empower you with the skills and knowledge to successfully engage in careers such as:
- Writing, publishing, film, visual and performing arts, curating, arts management
- Global and social justice organizations
- Leadership, management, human resources, training, business, social entrepreneurship, sustainable systems design, community development
- Social change advocacy, environmental stewardship, climate change activism, urban environmental education, public policy & law, urban design, and government
- Spiritual/faith leadership
- BA in Liberal Studies with Arts and Literature
- BA in Liberal Studies with Communication and Media
- BA in Liberal Studies with Global and Social Justice Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies with Individualized Concentration
- BA in Liberal Studies with Leadership & Sustainable Business
- BA in Liberal Studies with Psychology and Counseling
- BA in Liberal Studies with Spiritual Studies
- BA in Liberal Studies with Urban Ecology