Antioch’s Master’s degree in Human Services Administration (MHSA) prepares service-minded practitioners who seek the skills and knowledge to lead in organizations where they can help have a positive impact on the lives of others. Whether you want to advance your current career or pursue a role as an executive director, grant writer, or program manager, our master’s degree program could help you meet your educational goals.
Social service agencies, like many other institutions, are experiencing a shortage of qualified leaders as existing staff retire. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts employment of social and community service managers is projected to grow 18 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.
This degree is offered by AU Online.
Classes offered within the MHSA program challenge and prepare leaders to think creatively. Students learn human resources development, agency funding strategies, how to manage diverse populations of employees and clients, and how to improve and expand quality of service in a variety of fields from social service organizations to nonprofits to human resources. This program incorporates a blend of management studies and human development courses to help you effectively lead, manage, and meaningfully interact with others in your organization and community.
Our MHSA program is designed for busy adults.
- 100% asynchronous online learning with 24/7 access to your class and resources
- One course at a time – balance work, college and family – because all aspects of your life matter
- Faculty are active practitioners and engaged in your learning
- Streamlined admission process; GMAT or GRE are not required
- 36-semester credit program completely online
- Classes begin every 7 weeks, with multiple entry points
- At one course per term, earn your degree within two years
Recommended Course Sequence*:
- Human Services Systems and Organizations (Term A)
- Human Resource Management (Term B)
- Marketing & Communication Strategy (Term A)
- Grant Writing and Fund Development (Term B)
- Ethics & Legal Issues for Nonprofits (Term A)
- Financial Management & Analysis (Term B)
- Organizational Leadership & Governance (Term A)
- Program Planning & Evaluation (Term B)
- Developing People & Performance (Term A)
- Research Methods (Term B)
- Strategy, Innovation & Resilience (Term A)
- Change Project/Capstone (Term B)
* Courses and sequence are subject to change
The online Master of Human Services Administration (MHSA) from Antioch University Online prepares practitioners to be effective leaders and managers in the rewarding field of social services. Professionals with a Master’s degree in Human Services Administration may pursue various leadership positions with social service agencies, such as:
- Executive Director
- Social Services Administrator
- Grant Writer
- Director of Community Service
- Program Director
- Case Specialist
Human Services Administration require broad and relevant knowledge and skills that enable and promote service delivery to a range of individuals and communities. Shared competencies among service providers create a framework for training and preparing professionals to meet the needs of diverse communities. The Master of Human Services Administration competency areas are:
- Systems and Strategic Thinking (ST) – Explore conceptual framework and language to explain the complexity of organizational systems.
- Self-Development (SD) – Develop clarity of and commitment to one’s leadership mission and values, and the skills to put mission and values into practice.
- Collaboration and Group Dynamics (CGD) – Create a common mission, vision, values and norms, finding common ground while respecting and incorporating human differences.
- Financial Management (FM) – Exercise and apply strategies to manage the internal financial controls including accounting, financial planning, budgeting, cash flow management, and donor systems and establish strong systems of donor stewardship.
- Human Resource Development (HRD) – Evaluate and develop strategies to achieve strategic organizational goals while supporting employee development and success.
- Research and Information Design (RID) – Evaluate and apply skills of gathering, organizing, and interpreting information and metrics to promote sustainable systems, make informed organizational decisions, and mitigate risk.
- Purposeful Systemic Change (CHNG) – Exercise appropriate leadership to identify and promote organizational development and continuous improvement efforts to transform organizational structures, processes, and culture.
- Online Application (No Application fee!)
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an institution recognized by regional accreditation.
- Exceptions may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis using faculty’s professional judgment such as cases of international degree. Antioch Online will accept degrees earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 (exceptions may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis using faculty’s professional judgment)
- One letter of recommendation (Writer should know the applicant in a professional or academic context)
- Current resume
- Admission essay
- No GMAT or GRE required
- Additional requirement for international students:
- Reading & Writing in English Proficiency Assessment (if applicable) or TOEFL score of 550 “paper-based”, 214 “computer-based”, and 79 “internet-based or higher.
Students in this program participate in online learning activities organized within small- and large-group learning communities. Antioch University Online is a 100% online learning environment, and therefore, in addition to having the traditional learning skills, students are expected to have basic technological skills, compatible computer hardware, operating system, and internet connectivity upon entrance into the program.
Graduate Degree Tuition
|Online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling||This program costs $625 per semester hour plus a $75/semester student services fee.|
|Human Services Administration||This program costs $650 per semester hour plus a $75/semester student services fee.|
Graduate Degree Fees
|Student Services Fee||$75/semester (This fee includes services related to technology support, library services, the writing center, help desk and live support assistance.)|
|Transcript (1st class mail)||$7.25/each|
|Transcript (overnight UPS)||$27.25/each|
|Late Registration Fee||$50|
|Late Payment Fee||$50|
|Return Check Fee (per check)||$25|
|Replacement Diploma Fee||$20|
|Payment Plan Fee||$30|
Many AU students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AU.
There are no upcoming events at this time.