Dr. Cathi Fuhrman is a high school librarian in the State College Area School District, State College, PA. She has been a school librarian for 29 years and was a library department supervisor for 21 years in her former school district. She has taught online courses since 2015 for McDaniel College (MD), Kutztown University (PA), and Mansfield University (PA).
Fuhrman has been an advocate for school libraries her entire career serving her state and national associations. Cathi is currently on the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) Board of Directors, is a past president of the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association (PSLA), and is past chair of the AASL Chapter Assembly. Fuhrman also currently serves on the American Library Association (ALA) EDI Assembly and the ALA Children’s and Youth Materials Committee. She serves on the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association’s Advocacy Committee and is co-chair of the PSLA Intellectual Freedom Task Group. Fuhrman was a 2015-2016 Lilead Fellow, a federally funded grant program for school library supervisors.
In her career, Fuhrman has had many mentors who allowed her to grow as an educator, school librarian, school library leader, and advocate for students. She is committed to teaching school library candidates not only to pay it forward but to inspire those in and entering the school library field. Fuhrman advocates for Intellectual Freedom, school library staffing as well as Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for schools.
Endorsement in K-12 Library Media
- EdD, 2011, University of Delaware, Educational Leadership, Curriculum, Technology and Higher Education
- MS, 2001, Drexel University, Master of Science in Library and Information Science
- BS, 1993, Millersville University (PA), Master of Education, Library Science
- BA, 1984, Pennsylvania State University, Business Administration
- (2022). The power and pitfalls of virtual professional development. Knowledge Quest, 50(3), 16-23.
- With Kachel, D. (2020). Levering school library programs during the pandemic. The Pennsylvania Administrator, 24(3), 18-19.
- Contributed to: Maughan, S. (2019) Advocacy in the Field. Publisher’s Weekly, August 16, 40-46
- Assisted in writing Pennsylvania Department of Education documents: PA Model Curriculum Revision (2019), PA School Library Guidelines 2019, PA Model Curriculum (2011, 2012), Communication and Advocacy and Teacher Effectiveness/SLO
- “Beyond Book Bans,” Pennsylvania Red, Wine and Blue, September 27, 2023
- “You Are Not Alone,” PSLA Annual Conference, April 1, 2023.
- “Windows, Mirrors, and Doors: How Stories Help Us See and Be Seen,” State College Area School District in-service, January 17, 2022 and January 16, 2023.
- “Copyright for Schools,” Hempfield School District in-service, Asynchronous Schoology Course, February 12, 2021.
- “Ask a Librarian – Online Chat for Students,” PETA&C Virtual Conference, February 8, 2021.
- “Implementing The Model Curriculum for Learners in PA School Libraries,” LSTA Virtual Trainings, July/August 2020.
- “Building your Collaboration Action Plan with the AASL National School Library Standards,” September 19, 2019, in collaboration with PSLA and the University of Pittsburgh from an LSTA Grant.
- Outstanding School Library Program, PSLA: 2017
- Lilead Fellows Program Participant: 2015-16
- Media Specialist Technology Innovation Award, International Society for Technology in Education SIGMS: 2010
- Outstanding Individual School Library Media Center, Hempfield High School, PSLA: 2010
- American Library Association, EDI (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) Assembly, State Intellectual Freedom Network (SIFnet), etc.
- American Association of School Librarians, Board Director At-Large, Chapter Assembly Chairperson, Educators of School Librarians Section
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Pennsylvania School Librarians Association, former president, board member, Advocacy chairperson, and Intellectual Freedom Co-Chair
- Pennsylvania Association for Educational Communications & Technology