- PhD in Leadership and Change, Antioch University
- Getty Leadership Institute, Museum Management Institute
- MS in Instructional Technology, Philadelphia University
- MA in Deaf Education, Gallaudet University
- BS in Biology, Dickinson College
Johnson, J.I. and Sobczak, P. (in press). Leader Development in the Professions: A Tale of Two Sectors. Curator, The Museum Journal.
Johnson, J.I. (Jul/Aug 2017). The Mentor and the Protégé: What, Who, and How? In ASTC Dimensions. Emily Schuster, ed. Washington, DC: Association of Science-Technology Centers, p. 28.
Johnson, J.I. (Nov/Dec 2013). Learning at and for Work In ASTC Dimensions. Emily Schuster, ed. Washington, DC: Association of Science-Technology Centers, p. 38.
Johnson, Julie I. (2012). Museums, Leadership, and Transfer: An Inquiry into Organizational Supports for Learning Leadership. Dissertations & Theses. 13. https://aura.antioch.edu/etds/13
Johnson, J.I. & Rassweiler, J. L. (2010). Connecting Museum, School and Community: Collaborations for Learning, pp. 65-72 In Fortney, K & Sheppard, B. (eds.) An Alliance of Spirit: Museum and School Partnerships. Washington, DC: American Association of Museums
Johnson, J.I. & Roberts, R.C. (2009). The Practice of Leadership in a Changing Environment In ASTC Dimensions. Carolyn Sutterfield, ed. Washington, DC: Association of Science-Technology Centers, pp. 2-5, 8. Also available online: http://www.astc.org/blog/2010/04/08/the-practice-of-leadership-in-a-changing-environment/
Johnson, J.I. & Ellenbogen, K.M. (May/June 2008). Planning for Family Learning: Research, Evaluation, and Decision-Making In ASTC Dimensions. Carolyn Sutterfield, ed. Washington, DC: Association of Science-Technology Centers, p. 10.
- American Educational Research Association
- Academy of Human Resource Development
- International Association of Facilitators
- International Coaching Federation
- International Leadership Association
- Working remotely during a crisis: Communicating & Connecting in Meaningful Ways, ASTC Leadership & Diversity Fellows Spring Series, April 2020
- Managing Change, ASTC Leadership & Diversity Fellows Spring Series, June 2018
- Leading from the Middle, AASLH Seminar for Historic Administration, November 2015, 2016, 2017
- Leadership development in Place: Moving from training to practice, International Leadership Association Global Conference, October 2015
- The Journey of Emerging Leadership: Struggles, Successes, and Resources, American Public Gardens Association Annual Conference, June 2015
- Organizational Supports for Learning Leadership: A Study of U.S. Museums, International Leadership Association Global Conference, October 2014
- The Leadership Landscape in Museums, International Leadership Association Global Conference, October 2014
- Using Creative Problem-Solving to Cultivate Future Leaders, American Association of Museums Annual Conference, May 2012.