Shana D.L. Hormann, PhD, MSW
Teaching Faculty, Master in Leadership Practice
Dr. Shana Hormann has been an organizational consultant and professor for over 30 years. Shana currently serves with Antioch University’s Graduate School of Leadership and Change as Teaching Faculty and Senior Academic Program Developer. Shana has a wide range of work experience including with Antioch University Seattle as Core Faculty and Vice President for Student Affairs, University of Washington School of Social Work as Affiliate Faculty, Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration as Associate Superintendent, and the University of Alaska-Southeast as Faculty and Director of the Student Counseling Center. Shana’s consulting and training areas include leadership development, facilitation, indigenous empowerment, organizational trauma, organizational culture, building individual and organizational resilience, interpersonal violence, and spirit at work. She has undertaken a variety of consulting and training assignments for organizations in the nonprofit, public, tribal, and private sectors in the United States and abroad. Her co-authored book, Organizational Trauma and Healing (2013) focuses on organizational trauma in non-profit organizations.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Antioch University, 2007
- Master of Social Work, University of Washington, 1978
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, University of Washington, 1972
- 2018 - Hormann, S. (2018). “Exploring Resilience: in the Face of Trauma” in the Humanistic Management Journal, July 2018, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp 91–104.
- 2018 - Vivian, P., Hormann, S., Murphy-Kangas, S., Cox, K., Tilsen, B. (2018). “Practicing OD for Social Justice” in D.W. Jamieson et.al. (eds.), Enacting Values-Based Change, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, Switzerland. Chapter 12, p. 169-187.
- 2017 - Hormann, S., and Vivian, P. (2017). “Organizational Trauma in University Settings” in Mohan, J. (Ed.), Emerging Contours in Excellence, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, 170-180.
- 2017 - Vivian, P., Cox, K., Hormann, S., and Murphy-Kangas, S. (2017). “Healing traumatized organizations” in The OD Practitioner, Vol. 49 (4): 45-51.
- 2017 - Hormann, S. and Vivian, P. “Intervening in Organizational Trauma: A Tale of Three Organizations,” in Tirmizi, S.T. and Vogelsang, J. (Eds.). Leading and Managing in the Social Sector, Springer Publishing, Chapter 11, p. 175-189.
- 2015 - Vivian, P. and Hormann, S., “Persistent Traumatization in Nonprofit Organizations” in The OD Practitioner, Winter 2015.
- 2013 - Vivian, P. and Hormann, S. (2013). Organizational Trauma and Healing. CreateSpace.
- 2013 - Catalysts of Collaboration Team Award, Antioch University Seattle
- 2011 -President’s Recognition Award for Promoting Diversity, Antioch University Seattle
- 2005 - President’s Recognition Award for Student Service, Antioch University Seattle
- 2000 - WA State Department of Social and Health Services Statewide Outstanding Team Award, Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration Statewide Juvenile Female Offender Oversight Committee (Chair)
- 1997 - Outstanding Service Award and Outstanding Team Award, Echo Glen Diversity Committee (Chair)
- 1991 - Outstanding Teacher Award, UAS Student Government, University of Alaska-Southeast, Juneau, AK
- 1987 - NASW Gold Card Award, Alaska Chapter, National Association of Social Workers
- 1982 - Social Worker of the Year Award, NASW, Juneau Chapter, Juneau, AK
- International Leadership Association (ILA)
- National Indian Education Association (NIEA)
- Organization Development Network (ODN)
- Building Resilience, Olympic Educational Service District, January 2019.
- Sharing Truths, Honoring Community, The Evergreen State College, May 2018.
- From Organizational Trauma to Organizational Resilience, University Risk Management and Insurance Assoc (URMIA), San Diego, May 2018.
- Resilience in the Face of Organizational Trauma, International Humanistic Management Conference, Seattle, October 2017.
- Leading and Intervening in a Traumatized Organization, 8th Annual Domestic Violence Symposium, Seattle, September 2017.
- Secondary Trauma and Organizational Trauma, “In Harm’s Way: A conference on secondary trauma,” Geminus Community Partners and Indiana Department of Child Services, April 2017.
- Organizational Trauma and Healing, WA State Coalition Against Domestic Violence (WSCADV) New Director’s Conference, February 2016.
- Leading With No Answers, International Leadership Association, Barcelona, Spain, October 2015.
- Building Organizational Resilience, Muckleshoot Tribal College, Auburn, WA, September 2015.
- Creating and Sustaining Healthy Leaders and Healthy Organizations, Missouri Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, September 2015.
- Organizational Trauma in the Military, Panel Presentation, International Leadership Association, San Diego, CA, November 2014, and Antioch University, February 2015.
- Creating and Sustaining Healthy Organizations and Healthy Leaders, Alaska National Guard, December 2014.
- Designing and Facilitating Effective Meetings, US Coast Guard Base Seattle, March 2014.
- Organizational Trauma and Healing, Abused Deaf Women’s Advocacy Services (ADWAS), Seattle, WA, November 2013.