Accounts Payable/Accounting Assistant
Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio
Department: Business Office
Reports to: General Accounting Manager
Location / Campus: AU Campus Yellow Springs, Ohio
Job Type: Full Time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Salary Grade: UE767/Classification E
Reporting to the Director, General Accounting, the Accounts Payable/Accounting Assistant is primarily responsible for disbursement functions including the recording of vouchers, researching of statements and invoices, and responding to vendor and employee inquiries university-wide. Accounts Payable’s mission is to provide timely and accurate payments while providing responsive and quality services to the University Community, vendors, and students, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Accounts Payable Duties 60%
- Perform various banking functions to include daily reconciliation of up to 9 bank accounts by downloading reports and performing account data entry into spreadsheet
- Reconciles and verifies departmental vouchers, vendor invoices/statements for accuracy on a daily basis
- Administers new vendor set-up in Colleague as needed and maintains up-to-date active vendor records
- Resolves discrepancies on payments or vendor statements by communicating directly with vendors and university departments as needed on a daily basis
- Determines when a W-9 form is required for new vendors. Works with the vendor to collect form and completes required Colleague entries as needed. Maintains W-9 files
- Converts approved requisitions into purchase orders and inputs into Colleague. Includes reconciling outstanding POs by closing and/or voiding as needed. Maintains purchase order files.
- Prepares and reconciles A/P e-check and manual check batches by printing checks to match to invoices and mails checks weekly
- Uploads ACH files weekly for e-checks and various benefit TPA payments
- Reviews/researches accounts payable by verifying codes, prices, approvals, and quantities; correcting errors; balances return and accrual accounts; researches discrepancies with vendors and university personnel; and processes, void, reissue, or place holds on checks
- Reconciles P-Card statements for Ohio and Los Angles campuses on a monthly basis, including ensuring proper documentation is submitted and preparing journal entries to correct errors as needed
- Other Accounting Duties 30%
- Maintains necessary documents for annual 1099-MISC reporting. Assists in preparation and/or completing 1099-MISC filing as assigned.
- Supports department by collecting and coordinating internal compliance data with auditors
- Files Annual Report of Unclaimed Funds for the State of Ohio
- Enters approved journal entries 2x daily
- Reconcile up to 6 bank statements monthly by checking against general ledger, verify funds in accounts; correct bank errors and or prepare journal entry corrections as needed. Files cancelled/voided checks and maintains archive file
- Completes charge back processing on returning checks as needed and notifies payer or originating department
- Miscellaneous 10%
- Administers purchase card set-up for employees including answering questions or providing training to P-card users as requested
- Maintains postage meter machine by ensuring equipment is in working order; runs renewal reports; meters department mail; trains new users as needed
- Maintains department copy machines, check printing machine by ensuring equipment is in working order and contacting third party as needed for repairs
- Maintains office supplies by checking stock to determine inventory levels; anticipating requirements; placing and expediting orders, including special requests; verifying receipt; stocking items; delivering supplies to work stations
- Maintain up-to-date work instructions on primary duties to ensure internal procedures are upheld and to serve as guides for others that may provide back-up
- Provides back-up to other business office functions as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance or related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 2 years general accounting experience. In lieu of associates’ degree, high school diploma/GED and 5 years’ experience may be substituted. Prior experience must include using an integrated database accounting system for accounts payable, accrual accounting and general ledger, as well as data entry
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel, Colleague experience desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures and practices; arithmetic; and general office procedures
- Skill in computing and posting figures rapidly and accurately
- Skill in applying accounting procedures and practices to the analysis of intermediate accounting problems
- Strong interpersonal skills (listening skills, problem solving, working collaboratively, open to feedback, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skill in collecting, analyzing and interpreting accounting data; prepare clear and accurate financial reports
- Skill in managing one’s own time
- Ability to work under periods of prolonged concentration subject to frequent interruptions
- Ability to exercise discretion and handle confidential information
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Self-directed, can prioritize duties and meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and emphasis on customer service
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
Office to be housed at Antioch University in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
To Apply: Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and three business references with contact information at the time of application.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, family status, or disability in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs.
NOTE: The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check