AUSB Director of Facilities & Safety
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Website Antioch University-Santa Barbara Campus
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Department: Southern California
Reports to: Associate Provost/Santa Barbara
Classification: Full Time
Open: Until filled
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Director of Facilities & Safety reports to the Associate Provost and will serve as the point of contact for campus facility and safety needs. Responsibilities include oversight and management of building maintenance needs, campus safety, security operations, and supervision of the front desk staff. The Director serves as the liaison between the campus and the property manager, building, facility, equipment, and security services, and participates in the University Resource Group (URG) related to Facilities, Safety, and Security.
- Confer regularly with the Associate Provost and other essential university personnel in the planning and coordination of campus facility repairs, activities, classes, and projects as well as campus safety issues
- Direct the work of contractors for the campus and apartments to ensure that contract requirements are met, and that work is performed in a suitable and timely manner
- Oversee the work of the property management company and ensure general maintenance needs for the campus are addressed
- Supervise and oversee the work of the front desk including staff, security and federal work-study students
- Swiftly respond to emergency issues, including daily maintenance issues, security alarm, and fire alarm
- Review and update Campus Safety and Emergency Evacuation policies and procedures; chair the Campus Operations Team, and report findings and other relevant matters to the Associate Provost
- Oversee the coordination of logistics, i.e. space rental, and other needs for the annual commencement ceremony
- Schedule and oversee safety drills, CPR and First Aid courses, and emergency response trainings, including coordination with local law enforcement agencies
- Provide legal required Cleary Act compliance reporting
- Ensure minor repairs that can be completed in-house are completed, i.e. change light bulbs, repair holes in drywall, etc.
- Coordinate and procure office set-up and/or relocation and movement of office furniture as needed
- Control campus room rental and community space to outside groups
- Schedule periodic required checks for routine fire alarm and elevator safety checks
- Regularly inspect campus interior and grounds to detect hazards and potential failures to maintain a safe environment
- Manage campus parking, issue warnings and arrange for towing for parking violators, coordinate parking fees in collaboration with campus security
- Complete requisite checklists on building equipment maintenance procedures and maintains records of all maintenance procedures that are performed
- Obtain estimates for repairs and services, and place orders for parts within authorized limits and budget
- Maintain key log and key distribution in collaboration with Human Resources and Security
- Responsible for the maintenance, budget, procurement of supplies and equipment related to campus operations
- Other duties as assigned to insure the safe, efficient, and comfortable operation of the building and grounds
- Bachelor’s Degree highly-preferred, associate degree considered and five years of demonstrated experience with building equipment operation, maintenance and repair; building security or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge of large building systems.
- Dexterity, visual acuity and ability to move and climb ladders, lift and manage 40 pounds, move furniture and tables, repair small or delicate electrical devises, and operate power and manual hand tools.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer applications and the ability to use E-mail, MS Word, MS Excel, and the application used to control the security and camera systems.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in visual, spreadsheet, or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday with occasional weekends as required. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the Associate Provost and in response to facilities, security or safety issues. Availability outside of normal hours will be required depending on the needs of the campus and in response to facility, safety, and security needs.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary is DOE. Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance, pension plan, paid holidays, sick and vacation leave. May be eligible for tuition benefit after one year of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, or otherwise moving objects in excess of 40 pounds. Considerable walking within the building is required as well as the ability to move up and down stairs without undue delay. Requires daily use of a computer, cell phone, and other electronic equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
ANTIOCH UNIVERSITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, family status, or disability in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs.
Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, CV, and names of three (3) business references. Please CLICK HERE