Website Antioch University
Under direction, the General Accountant assists in the preparation of financial reports to provide the appropriate University personnel with the proper information. Maintains various accounting ledgers and records to ensure the University’s books are accurate. Provides significant assistance and support with Financial Services initiatives and finance system redesigns and implementations. This position works under moderate supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Financial Operations 90%
- As part of Financial Services, responsible for completeness and accuracy of accounting records and financial reporting
- Assists Financial Services staff in meeting daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual responsibilities
- Reviews, analyzes, and reconciles balance sheet and income statement accounts and prepares journal entries, as assigned.
- Works closely with Human Resources to reconcile employee benefit accounts monthly
- Assists with preparation of financial reports and preparation for and execution of financial statement and other audits
- Assists auditors by interpreting transactions, preparing worksheets, and analyzing accounts
- Assist Controller in developing a portfolio of university-wide accounting policies and best practices to implement overall business reorganization
- Assists with testing activities for new Datatel Colleague functionality implementations, modules upgrades, and patches
- In addition to University-wide accounting role, provides financial reporting and budget support for all Antioch University campuses and programs
- Collect and review all electronic credit card statements for propriety and appropriate approvals
- Develop and run reports from general ledger and report writing tool to assist in tracking monthly budget performance, key performance indicators and metrics
- Process changes to approved budgets
- Miscellaneous 10%
- Maintain up-to-date work instructions on primary duties to ensure internal procedures are upheld and to serve as guides for others that may provide back-up
- Participate in department meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in accounting with a minimum of 1 year of applicable experience. ; CPA strongly preferred; MBA a plus
- Experience with integrated financial systems required, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Public accounting experience with non-profits and/or higher education preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Knowledge of GAAP, finance principles, disbursements, annual audits and financial reporting functions. (higher education or not-for-profit a plus)
- Excellent math, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled at preparing accurate financial reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – Excel, Word; database applications/tools and able to extract information from the financial database.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and able to prioritize tasks independently
- Excellent communication skills – ability to communicate complex accounting issues clearly and explicitly and ability to write technical documents with clarity and ease
- Ability to quickly and accurately enter data into computer databases; analyze data and prepare reports for campus and system management.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet critical deadlines – be a self-starter.
- Adaptability to unexpected challenges and changes in an environment.
- Ability to identify problems and take action to solve them independently or in collaboration with others
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required during peak periods.
Office to be housed at Antioch University in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
To apply, qualified applicants should submit a coverletter, resume/CV and three business references. Please submit your information, by using the Click to Apply button. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com