Website Antioch University
Assists in the day-to-day operations of Finance with responsibilities including financial accounting, reconciliation and reporting. Provides significant assistance and support with Financial Services initiatives and finance system redesigns and implementations.
- As part of Financial Services, responsible for completeness and accuracy of accounting records and financial reporting.
- Assists Financial Services staff in meeting daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual responsibilities.
- Reviews, analyzes, and reconciles balance sheet and income statement accounts and prepares journal entries, as assigned.
- Works with Human Resources to reconcile employee benefit accounts monthly.
- Assists with preparation of financial reports and preparation for and execution of financial statement and other audits.
- Assists auditors by interpreting transactions, preparing worksheets, and analyzing accounts.
- Assist Controller in developing a portfolio of university-wide accounting policies and best practices to implement overall business reorganization.
- Assists with testing activities for new Datatel Colleague functionality implementations, modules upgrades, and patches.
- In addition to University-wide accounting role, provides financial reporting and budget support for Antioch University, Central operations and all AU education programs.
- Collect and review all electronic credit card statements for propriety and appropriate approvals
- Develop and run reports from general ledger and report writing tool to assist in tracking monthly budget performance, key performance indicators and metrics.
- Process changes to approved budgets
Knowledge: Proven knowledge in accounting policies and procedures (specialized in not-for-profit a plus) disbursements, annual audit, and financial reporting functions.
Education and Experience Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education; with a major in accounting with one or more years of experience in an accounting position; with experience with an integrated financial system required. Public accounting experience and with either non-profit or higher education experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to quickly and accurately enter data into computer databases; analyze data and prepare reports for campus and system management. Proficient use of Excel and the ability to extract information from the financial database. Ability to work under pressure and meet critical deadlines, prepare accurate financial reports, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to determine confidentiality standards, to problem-solve, and make appropriate corrections as needed. Ability to organize, analyze and prioritize tasks independently.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, able to identify problems and take action to solve them independently or in collaboration with other members of the finance team, as appropriate. Ability to communicate complex accounting issues clearly and explicitly, ability to write technical documents with clarity and ease.
Technical proficiency requirements: Proficiency in Excel and Word required integrated financial systems desirable. A test of technical skills may be required as part of selection process.
Physical Requirements Sitting, standing, and lifting, carrying or otherwise moving objects up to 25 pounds. May require some travel. Requires daily use of telephone, computer and other standard office equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hours of Employment:
This is a full-time position, which may require working some evening and weekend hours. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume and complete a questionnaire at the time of application. To apply, click on this link: AU General Accountant
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.