Location: Remote/Any Campus
Job Title: Instructional Designer
Department: Academic Technology
Reports to (Title): Director of Academic Technology
Salary Grade: TBD
Location / Campus: Remote /Any Campus
Job Type: Full Time
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Instructional Designer is responsible for Antioch University instructional design functions related to the development and revision of AU curricular products in face-to-face, hybrid, and geographically dispersed/online learning environments with an emphasis on active and experiential learning in all delivery modalities. This role will serve as primary instructional designer for the Antioch University Graduate School of Leadership and Change, as well as working directly with faculty and academic unit directors in multiple programs fostering best practices in instructional strategies.
Essential Job Functions
- Educational Technology Design and Delivery 90%
- Provide pedagogical and instructional design consultation and support to faculty and academic program personnel to plan and improve instructional delivery with technology, including analysis of faculty and program needs, instructional materials design and production, and course building
- Employ project management skills to ensure timely support to a variety of faculty and academic units across the university
- Assist faculty in choosing and implementing instructional technologies consistent with university resources and suited to the faculty member’s abilities and needs
- Collaborate with university service departments on the administration of academic technologies such as learning management systems and video conferencing tools
- Contribute instructional design expertise to the development and maintenance of faculty development resources such as, multimedia tutorials, reference material, design standards, content resources, templates, and informational announcements for instructional development and program consistency
- Assist faculty with identifying sources of instructional media such as graphics, interactive activities, scenarios, video and other electronic materials to enrich course content
- Provide support for onboarding of new students and faculty
- Provide support for the geographically dispersed student body and GSLC learning community
- Miscellaneous 10%
- Participate in testing emerging teaching and learning technologies as assigned.
- Research and identify emerging educational and instructional technologies that can bring innovative and creative approaches to the curriculum
- Stay current in new and innovative approaches in teaching and learning
- Travel to residencies once we return to post-pandemic operation
- Performs other duties as assigned
The Graduate School of Leadership and Change
The GSLC depends upon design thinking, systems knowledge, broad experience and facility with education technology, instructional and curriculum development experience especially at the graduate level, and creativity. The person is required to provide leadership through the advocacy, conceptualization, design and implementation and continuous improvement of new online environments — and supports faculty, staff and the students through consultation, training, one-on-one Q&A, tutorials, and online sessions on existing systems.
This position has a dual reporting structure. While housed in Academic Technology and reporting directly to the Director, the individuals has a dotted line to the GSLC Provost and interfaces regularly and in multiple modalities with GSLC students, faculty, staff, alumni, and university representatives.
The GSLC staff are a fully integrated team providing academic, student services, AT/IT support to students and faculty, including personalized onboarding to program, library, and so forth; Staff are in daily engagement with each other; staff meetings are biweekly.
The GSLC faculty are a fully integrated team designing, maintaining, and modifying the curriculum and delivery regularly. Faculty members are in daily engagement with each other and with program staff; faculty meetings are biweekly.
The Instructional Designer is present at all GSLC faculty and staff meetings, participating from conceptualization to implementation.
- Master’s degree in instructional design, distance education, or instructional technology or related field and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in instructional design or related work experience required.
- Experienced in higher education and graduate programs strongly preferred
- Experience in designing authentic assessments and engaging course content
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Knowledge and proficiency with appropriate software, including online course management software, web browsers, web authoring tools, standard office productivity tools required. Familiarity with mobile devices instruction, responsive interface design, video and image manipulation, presentation software, HTML/XML, and media production skills desired
- Knowledge of copyright, fair use, and accessibility regulations related to online learning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail, superior organizational skills, self-direction, and motivation
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to apply theories of instructional design and adult learning to the development of online or hybrid learning experiences required
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, work independently, and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues via phone, email, videoconferencing and in person to find solutions to challenges faced by faculty and students
- Ability to foster faculty and student enthusiasm for and engagement in the use of innovative technologies for teaching and learning
- Exercise professional judgment regarding highly confidential department, budget, and student matters
- Work independently, organize, handle detail, follow-through on tasks and problem solve with minimal supervision, in a complex administrative and academic environment
- Work effectively, collaboratively, and cooperatively with a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. Ability to interact with a wide range of users and technicians
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to diversity, equity and cultural competence
- Possess a keen understanding of, and sensitivity to, the human factors and accessibility requirements involved in introducing educational technology
- Adapt to organizational and individual circumstances
- Differentiate level of assistance according faculty and student ability and need
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor. Periodic evening and weekend work can be expected.
This may be a remote or campus-based position, though proximity to one of our campuses in Seattle, WA, Los Angeles, CA, Santa Barbara, CA, or Keene, NH is desirable. Specific location will be established with the supervisor prior to appointment. Occasional travel will be required.
Qualified applicants are required to submit a cover-letter, resume/CV and three business references at the time of application. To apply, https://ats.applicantone.com/Careers/antiochuniversity?ATSPopupJob=95604&src=AUWebsiteEmploymentpage
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com