Location: Remote / Hybrid
Department: Office of General Counsel (OGC)
Reports to: General Counsel
Location / Campus: Remote / Hybrid to AU Campus
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Grade: $65,000 – $75,000/year
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal provides high-level and confidential legal, administrative and clerical support to the Antioch University’s Office of General Counsel (OGC), which serves Antioch’s online programs and its physical locations in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, California; Seattle, Washington; Keene, New Hampshire; and Yellow Springs, Ohio. The Legal Assistant/Paralegal works independently, has responsibility for multiple OGC functions and plays a critical role in maintaining OGC’s service to University leadership, Board of Governors, faculty, staff and students. This individual is motivated, inquisitive and collaborative, with excellent judgment, problem solving and decision making skills and discretion. This position may be performed remotely, but proximity to an Antioch campus is preferred.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the corporate Secretary and Board of Governors with meetings and recordkeeping;
- Prepare routine and complex correspondence;
- Maintain and update University policies;
- Monitor OGC operating budget; process invoices and credit card receipts;
- Manage OGC calendars and schedule meetings;
- Maintain OGC files;
- Order office and other supplies;
- Maintain the University’s business and trademark registrations;
- Respond to subpoenas and information requests from third parties such as government agencies, accreditors and labor unions;
- Draft legal documents, such as settlement and vendor agreements, and governance documents, such as Board meeting agendas, resolutions, and meeting minutes;
- Assist in OGC’s oversight of complaints, grievances, litigation, arbitrations and mediations; monitor University’s Compliance Hotline;
- Assist in the OGC contract review process;
- Coordinate insurance renewals, respond to COI requests and monitor insurance claims;
- Consistently exercise independent judgment to identify potential legal issues and seek attorney review where appropriate; and
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s or paralegal degree preferred, or a minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience providing paralegal, administrative and clerical support. Significant legal support experience, including familiarity with legal concepts, legal research, legal document production, and contracts is required. Experience in higher education and insurance management strongly preferred. Experience with regulatory practice or labor union management a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess knowledge, skills and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
This position requires the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in regard to sensitive information concerning the University and its employees and students;
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to produce consistently accurate work product;
- Superb verbal and written communications, organizational, analytical, planning, reasoning, and research skills;
- Strong project and process management, time management, and editing skills, and the ability to troubleshoot and solve problems;
- Highly proficient with office software including MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Google Docs, Zoom, and database management;
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Notary Public designation;
- Ability to foster a positive, cooperative working relationship with staff throughout the University; and
- Willing to travel to Antioch campuses or meeting sites as needed.
Hours of Employment
This is a full-time position serving a national university. A work schedule will be established in consultation with the supervisor.
Remote; with travel to a University campus as needed.
The physical demands of this job include extended periods working at a keyboard and computer. The lifting requirements are minimal and typically would not exceed 25 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Antioch University reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time.
To Apply: Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and three business references with contact information at the time of application.
Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, family status, or disability in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs.
NOTE: The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check