Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are increasingly used for policy-making, scientific, administrative, educational, and recreational purposes. As GIS has become a vital decision support tool, the national and international need for qualified professionals has grown at an unprecedented rate. Proficiency with spatial concepts and data is sought-after by employers and necessary for effective environmental and policy leadership. When you have GIS experience in one sector, you can practically work in any job requiring GIS skills because the methods of working with data will be the same.
This state-of-the-art technology requires a high demand of technical skills to effectively gather, analyze, and relay vital information. Help make a positive environmental impact by understanding unique patterns and relationships between multiple data points as they relate to cartography.
This certificate is offered by AU Los Angeles.
A certificate in Applied Spatial Analysis for Geographic Information Systems (GIS), will meet the demand for qualified GIS professionals in various fields ranging from conservation and environmental sciences, business administration, clinical psychology, sustainability, to advocacy and social justice, epidemiology, and education.
This 9-semester credit/13.5-quarter credit, 1-year GIS Certificate is designed for graduate students, educators and professionals working in various sectors. It focuses on developing the skills and knowledge needed to work in any field that involves GIS-related spatial analysis.
- Understand the basics of cartography and geographic information systems.
- Process spatial socio-economic and environmental data of various types and from various sources
- Design, give meaning to and interpret maps.
- Appropriately model landscape features and to analyze spatial relationships among them.
- Conduct applied research projects using geospatial technology tools.
- Model environmental and socio-economic risks, target locations for appropriate interventions.
- Develop familiarity with non-commercial spatial data mapping and analysis tools such as Quantum GIS, Google Earth and Maps, ArcGIS Online, Mobile GIS, etc.
The certificate is 9-credits and can be completed within 32 weeks. Applied Spatial Analysis for GIS certificate face-to-face courses meet one day/week or as intensives.
Students complete three required courses from in each of the following areas:
- Certificate Core Requirement:
- GIS: Introduction
- Conservation & Climate Science:
- GIS: Advanced
- GIS: Applied
How to Apply
- Complete the online admissions application, including:
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
- Send an official transcript indicating Bachelor’s degree conferral from a regionally accredited college or university. The requested copy of an official transcript must be sent directly to the Admissions Office at Antioch University Los Angeles from the institution from which you received your accredited bachelor’s degree. A student copy of a transcript may be submitted with your application, but official transcripts are required upon admission.
- There are additional requirements for International applicants and applicants without a Bachelor’s degree. Contact admissions for additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 578-1080 ext. 100.
- Master’s and Certificate Programs do not require the GRE or any other standardized test for admissions. We consider all of your application materials, and evaluate your academic potential in a variety of ways.
Official transcripts should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Office of Admissions
Antioch University Los Angeles
400 Corporate Pointe
Culver City, CA 90230
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
|Semester||International Application||Final Application***||Classes Begin|
|Spring 2019||Currently accepting applications||Currently accepting applications||January 2019|
|Certificate in Applied Spatial Analysis for Geographic Information Systems (GIS)|
|Program Cost||$684 per unit plus fees|
A majority of AULA students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AULA. Returning to school is a big decision, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful one.